Couple questions on a pony bottle for bail out

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok, i'll try again.

First reread post 126 and think pony (not stage or pseudo stage since that is the subject of this thread). Think too about a recreational wetsuit diver in the 60 to 120 range doing a 2 tank boat dive...

Then the "better" is what is better for you. If you think complexity, weight, cost, inconvenience is better, so be it. Done.

1. I'm not really sure I get the argument. How do you have less gas for dive two with double tanks than if you had two separate single tanks? If one was practicing proper gas management and did the same dive one would do with a single HP100, you would have an entire tank of gas + at least the reserve gas from the previous dive in your double tanks giving you more gas for dive two. This is one of the main reasons to use them....no need to tear down gear for the second dive you can leave it on the beach for the surface interval.

2. How about this scenario: your buddy has an emergency and somehow runs out of gas. You start sharing gas (octopus) , calm your buddy down and begin to ascend. You then yourself run out of gas as you had not planned for a stressed buddy also breathing your back gas at the same time. You're not at the surface yet and only have the pony - I see a bad situation turning worse that didn't need to happen if one practiced proper gas management which is the point I am trying to make here.

3. I think if proper gas management was practiced which means always having enough gas for you and your buddy to deal with an emergency and ascend safely to the surface (including safety stops) from your maximum depth - there would be no issues.

4. I think you got this backwards. Why would you have to ditch weight between dives if you are getting lighter from using up gas? You're weighting should be the same, you just wouldn't need as much gas in your wing/BCD to compensate. Proper weighting is a whole other discussion - I'll try to keep on the pony bottle topic...but it's hard not to diverge :) Also, most technical divers I know use a drysuit as the redundant buoyancy source.

5. Yes, I agree a pony adds a degree of redundancy for self reliance, no issues there. My entire question was why is it better than using proper gas management and manifolded doubles if one needs the redundancy?

1. With a pony you have your back gas and your pony, which you reserve. With doubles you have no separate reserve, only your back gas.
So, on dive two, one dive has 100cuft + pony. and the other has 100cuft (if they used 1/2 on dive one). That reserve though, is completely dependent on one being able to isolate a failure.
Remembering also that the initial reserve is for max depth/time. On ascent one can use the reserve that becomes then unnecessary, thus a diver need not surface with the full reserve they originally conserved. I often surface with 200psi or less because I burn off the gas in the shallows.. yet I also have a pony containing max depth/time reserve.

2. That is planning for two failures, which nobody does for practical reasons. What happens if you are using doubles and your buddy goes OOA, you donate your octo and then also go OOA - same thing.

3. Proper gas management does not provide a second air source. Some divers are solo divers, others experience buddy seperation because of conditions and others are just tired of placing their safety in the hands of unknown insta buddies. It is odd to me that people are comfortable going below CESA depth without a RAS considering we cannot yet breath water. Placing your life in the hands of another seems secondary to taking control of your own safety by carrying a RAS.

4. My mistake. You would need to add weight or accept being very negative at the beginning. As for being over weight, there was a recent death of a popular member, Quero, that outlines the dangers of this. Many divers do use a DS as a second BCD. But others dive wet. And those that dive wet with doubles either use Al80's or redundant bladders. The reasons for this has been discussed in detail in DIR circles.

5. Your initial question was: "I'm confused. Why does one even need a pony bottle?"

No one said it was better or worse. It's just a very awkward solution for many situations in which a RAS might be considered. I use doubles sometimes myself, as one of several options for redundant air.

---------- Post added July 17th, 2014 at 08:14 AM ----------

I only use 4kg (roughly 8.8lbs) for sea dives, and even if I don't have my stage, I'm pretty overweighted just by the weight of gas in my tanks. My stage is a 200 bar 7 litre aluminium, so it's pretty neutral in the water when full.
And it's not a pony for my twins :p. If it were, I wouldn't use the gas in it for the dives.

The point was you sling a bottle on dive two with doubles and I sling a bottle with a single. The semantic argument is more for beginners I believe who need general rules of thumb to stay safe (always surface with 500psi). Once you get how to optimize your gas, what you call the bottle becomes a somewhat mute point.

Let's look at two dives using doubles and a single/pony combo.

On dive one the doubles have the advantage. There is more available bottom gas with a bigger potential reserve. In fact one could burn through both tanks if one wanted to, leaving only the required reserve. That's why I sometimes use doubles, because I want one big dive. The first line in the single tank represents max depth/time reserve, the second final gas needed to surface (let's say 500psi). Green is reserved gas.

ras 1.png

Now let's look at dive two.
Here one can see how the doubles diver has less available gas for redundancy considering they have to shutdown to conserve it. The singles diver has more gas and more options. If we look at the max depth/time reserve, we see the doubles diver has say, 20cuft, while the single diver has that plus another 20 cuft in the pony. At final reserve the double diver has 500psi with which to share air while the single diver has 25cuft to share.

ras 2.png
and yes, I know gas wouldn't sit in doubles that way, just easier to represent.

Remove the isolator stem and try to save half of your gas.

Carefully re-read the post above and note who posted it.

Lowviz,

The post you linked to describes a cracked isolator manifold, not a missing isolator :what: Upon discovery of the failure, the isolator is closed and you still have half your gas.

I do recommend you read the GUE valve manual linked in the thread you linked. It has been updated a bunch of times since then and has some great information in it.
The valve stem is attached to the valve seat via a double pronged interference connection. If you break the valve stem off (about one inch long threaded post) your tanks and manifold are still sealed.

Hi Dale,
Thanks for the comprehensive and friendly reply. I'll try and address your points below.

1. With a pony you have your back gas and your pony, which you reserve. With doubles you have no separate reserve, only your back gas.
So, on dive two, one dive has 100cuft + pony. and the other has 100cuft (if they used 1/2 on dive one). That reserve though, is completely dependent on one being able to isolate a failure.
Remembering also that the initial reserve is for max depth/time. On ascent one can use the reserve that becomes then unnecessary, thus a diver need not surface with the full reserve they originally conserved. I often surface with 200psi or less because I burn off the gas in the shallows.. yet I also have a pony containing max depth/time reserve.

With doubles (or a single tank for that matter) you do have a reserve. This is the minimum amount of gas required to get two divers to the surface from your maximum depth. It's called minimum gas or rock bottom and is your reserve. I think you are confusing doing a longer dive with doubles which obviously would use more gas. If one did the exact same two dives with either two single tanks or a set of doubles , one would have more gas for dive one AND two with a set of doubles. They would have all the gas for dive two + at least the left over reserve gas from dive 1.

Example:
Single 100s:
Dive 1: 100 ft^3 to start: 40 ft^3 reserve, 60 ft^3 usable gas - > return to surface with 40 ft^3 of gas (~1400PSI left in tank 1)
Dive 2: new tank, 100 ft^3 to start: 40 ft^3 reserve, 60 ft^3 usable gas - > return to surface with 40 ft^3 of gas (~1400PSI left in tank 2)

Twin 2x 100ft^3 doubles
Dive 1: 200 ft^3 to start: 40 ft^3 reserve, 60 ft^3 usable gas - > return to surface with 140 ft^3 of gas (~2500 PSI left in doubles)
Dive 2: 140 ft^3 to start: = You have much more gas than with the single tanks on BOTH dives

I hope that example clarifies it for you. If you want to add a static pony to the single tank example it won't change the outcome...unless the pony is actually an AL80 :)..in which case I'd be hard pressed to call it a pony :)

2. That is planning for two failures, which nobody does for practical reasons. What happens if you are using doubles and your buddy goes OOA, you donate your octo and then also go OOA - same thing.

I agree, planning for two failures can lead to all sorts of extra precautions. For instance cave divers will take three lights with them at a minimum but that's a special scenario. The scenario I gave you is actual only one failure though. In risk mitigation speak it's referred to as the "incident pit" where poor/improper planning before the dive and one failure during the dive leads to an exponentially worse situation. like a snowball rolling down a hill if I could use an analogy.

3. Proper gas management does not provide a second air source. Some divers are solo divers, others experience buddy seperation because of conditions and others are just tired of placing their safety in the hands of unknown insta buddies. It is odd to me that people are comfortable going below CESA depth without a RAS considering we cannot yet breath water. Placing your life in the hands of another seems secondary to taking control of your own safety by carrying a RAS.

Proper gas planning does provide a second air source. It's your buddy and he/she has a reserve (to get both of you to the surface, not just one) for you as well. If everyone practiced it there would be no issues. I've had some harrowing experiences with insta-buddies and know what you mean. I prefer to dive with those that can do proper gas management so I don't have to come up with a silly and complicated solution to a very easy way to solve a problem : proper gas management

4. My mistake. You would need to add weight or accept being very negative at the beginning. As for being over weight, there was a recent death of a popular member, Quero, that outlines the dangers of this. Many divers do use a DS as a second BCD. But others dive wet. And those that dive wet with doubles either use Al80's or redundant bladders. The reasons for this has been discussed in detail in DIR circles.

No need to add weight, in fact weighting should always stay constant between dives using doubles. You will actually have less "lead" weight on your belt if using steel doubles as the extra steel tank is usually (well most are) -ve buoyant when empty. The best bang for the buck in terms of size of tank to total weight carried for a given amount of gas seems to lie with the steel 100s. Yes, diving thick wetsuits and steel double tanks is not a good idea, it's downright dangerous. I could show you some math that shows why. Essentially the wetsuit compresses and becomes less buoyant at depth and if you have a wing failure you won't be able to ditch enough weight to swim up.

5. Your initial question was: "I'm confused. Why does one even need a pony bottle?"

No one said it was better or worse. It's just a very awkward solution for many situations in which a RAS might be considered. I use doubles sometimes myself, as one of several options for redundant air.

I agree it's an awkward and cumbersome solution when proper gas planning/management will fix most all the issues. Looks like we agree on something :)

---------- Post added July 17th, 2014 at 08:14 AM ----------

The point was you sling a bottle on dive two with doubles and I sling a bottle with a single. The semantic argument is more for beginners I believe who need general rules of thumb to stay safe (always surface with 500psi). Once you get how to optimize your gas, what you call the bottle becomes a somewhat mute point.

Ya, I didn't bother with semantics. I know what you were talking about. However, I think just telling beginners to surface with 500 PSI is a disservice and dangerous. They don't start off with the mindset of what that 500 PSI is for. Furthermore, ask a beginner to tell you how much gas they need to get to the surface sharing gas with a buddy from the maximum deopth and you will get a deer in the headlights blank stare....it's just not taught. Then you get suggestions to just add a pony bottle for RAS when they still don't know how much they need or how to plan gas correctly. It just perpetuates the problem. Learn proper gas management please people :)

?..//...
Please don't think I'm trolling, I'm genuinely interested in why people think it's a better choice vs proper gas planning and manifolded doubles (if redundancy required).

:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3: :kiss2: I am curious why you chose this thread to hijack with your agenda?

Last edited:
I've been on the fence in regards to a pony vs doubles with isolated manifold, and decided I would join this conversation.

I agree that the pony seems like more of an inconvenience, but it appears to offer complete redundancy. The only scenario I can see where this would fail, would be a catastrophic failure from my back gas that I did not detect. Then I go to get my pony, and apparently it has had a catastrophic failure also, and I didn't even notice it right under my left arm. This scenario however doesn't seem plausible.

My only fear with doubles is this scenario: I check my PSI every few minutes, however before I go to check my air again I go to take a breath and tanks are empty. Something catastrophic has happened behind my back, and I didn't realize I was losing air. Both tanks are empty.

Are both of these scenarios not really plausible, and I'm just being over cautious? I want doubles as I move into more advanced diving; however I feel like I almost want a pony if I went out and solo'd with doubles.

What do you think?

Back
Top Bottom