When PADI doesn't recognize PADI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Timmyjoe

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
A recent OW graduate who has only done my four open water dives (two ocean, two mucky lagoon) and a half dozen pool dives (practicing basic OW skills while I wait for the local quarries to warm up), I've also been looking into getting my AOW. Talked to an independent PADI instructor (not associated with any LDS) that I had hired a few years ago to host a snorkeling party (to teach snorkeling) for a bunch of my son's friends for his 10th birthday. I was gobsmacked when he told me he would not accept my PADI OW cert, and to do PADI AOW with him I would have to redo a PADI OW refresher course with him (I got certified less than two months ago and have tried to do one pool dive each week since certification) before he would instruct me with AOW. He said he would not accept another PADI instructor's certification (and he never asked me who I got certified with).

I thought this was really bizarre.

Best,
-Tim

This isn't exactly PADI not recognizing PADI; this is one individual PADI instructor not recognizing training by anyone else.

OR

Perhaps he didn't explain it well, but instructors are encouraged to assess incoming advanced students. However, this should not automatically mean a Scuba Review at additional cost - if that's what he was trying to sell.

However, this should not automatically mean a Scuba Review at additional cost - if that's what he was trying to sell.

Exactly what he was trying to sell. I would have had to pay for a PADI OW refresher course, and rent pool time for what he said would be the required pool session, before we would even start the AOW. I was also really put off by his attitude that he doesn't accept any other PADI instructor's certification. When I said, "But it's a PADI OW certification, the same organization that you are certified by, and you instruct for." His reply was that it didn't matter, he only accepts the OW certification of students he instructs himself.

Best,
-Tim

Yes, I think it's bizarre that he's insisting you do a refresher course first.

But I also think it's bizarre that he would teach you AOW at all, refresher course or not. You really need to do some actual dives that are not under the direct supervision of an instructor (and while it's great that you're trying to work on your skills off-season, pool dives don't count). PADI doesn't specifically require that, but a prudent instructor should.

Exactly what he was trying to sell. I would have had to pay for a PADI OW refresher course, and rent pool time for what he said would be the required pool session, before we would even start the AOW. I was also really put off by his attitude that he doesn't accept any other PADI instructor's certification. When I said, "But it's a PADI OW certification, the same organization that you are certified by, and you instruct for." His reply was that it didn't matter, he only accepts the OW certification of students he instructs himself.

Best,
-Tim

I also assess students before allowing them to start my AOW. But that's because most OW divers outside of SEI and NAUI don't have the ow training, knowledge, and skills required. If they do fine. This guy just sounds like an ass. Tell him to get stuffed.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

But I also think it's bizarre that he would teach you AOW at all, refresher course or not. You really need to do some actual dives that are not under the direct supervision of an instructor (and while it's great that you're trying to work on your skills off-season, pool dives don't count). PADI doesn't specifically require that, but a prudent instructor should.
Why is that "Bizarre"? There's no requirement to have any dives before AOW. In fact, the only requirement for AOW is BOW. AOW is not about producing Advanced Divers, it is about producing OW divers who have better skills; an extension of the OW class.

So why would a "prudent instructor" require these extra dives? It does not make sense.

Timmyjoe, this instructor is simply trying to get you to pay him more money. He's independent of a shop, so there is no regular business for him. This is a business tactic, that's all. It may warrant a report to PADI for possibly unethical behavior.

But I also think it's bizarre that he would teach you AOW at all, refresher course or not. You really need to do some actual dives that are not under the direct supervision of an instructor . . . PADI doesn't specifically require that, but a prudent instructor should.

The majority of encouragement to do AOW right now, after just finishing OW, is coming from PADI, via emails.

I think it's one way that they think they can hook you into continuing with diving, since I hear many folks do OW, do a few dives, and then fade away.

I can certainly see the wisdom in diving a lot before starting AOW, but I'm also living in the real world of jobs and kids and juggling schedules, and seeing if, and when, sometime this summer I can do an AOW class, while at the same time trying to do as many dives at Haigh or Pearl as I can find time and buddies for. The summer AOW schedules of all the LDS are online, and so far not much is lining up with when I'm going to be available, so I'm exploring all options.

Best,
-Tim

I've never heard of it. I did my OW in Canada and after 2 freshwater spring dives that no one saw, I did my AOW in Florida. I did learn a fair bit and it got me out on a boat in NW FL in the winter, which at times is not an easy task. My OW skills were not assessed by the FL instructor (an excellent and well known one), though I think it makes sense to be assessed before doing AOW. But a refresher course at student's expense without the instructor knowing you're a wipeout on OW skills? No. Well, not unless PADI (or whatever agency) changes the rules and requires it.

It's a free country. He's welcome to run his business as he sees fit; you're welcome to laugh and walk the other way.

Are you sure that he didn't mean that he wants to do a pool session with assessment and maybe training before the aow to make sure you have learned the proper stuff in your ow?

- Mikko Laakkonen -

I love diving and teaching others to dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom