Inon S2000 + InonZ240 - Too much power difference?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

archiebald

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
For the last couple of seasons I have been shooting with an S95 and a single Inon S2000 because that was all I could afford at the time. Since then I have been shooting mid and macro shots and gaining experience. Now I want to experiment with my new wide angle lens so in the near future I hope to treat myself to is a second strobe and arms.

Finances will now allow a more powerful unit and since I know Inon, I want to add a Z240 to my rig. I have read topics from some people using assymetric power setups, but the S2000 to Z240 is a big jump in power output. Although not ideal, I imagine that with a bit of practice I can throttle the larger strobe for decent results. Hopefully and eventually, I will add a second Z240 but that is too much of a stretch for now.

Any comments or advice would be welcomed

In the Z240 manual there are example configurations for two strobes it reports the combination Z240+Z240 and Z240+D2000 but not the Z240+S2000
To take full advantage of the Z240 shadow controls you will need to use the S2000 as primary and the Z240 as secondary strobe
To be honest with canon cameras with a 1/1.7" and minimum aperture of f/8 you do not need the Z240 I have seen the best results with a twin D2000
I would recommend you sell your S2000 and get twin D2000, the features would be the same of the Z240 and the power less but with f/8 aperture you don't need more

Great info - thanks

Lots of people advise that you can never have too much power for wide angle.

S2000 to z240 is not much of a power bump, GN 20 vs GN 24. Neither tops the power charts.

For wide angle, I would buy the most power you can afford. You can always turn your strobe down, you can not turn it up beyond its capabilities. It goes to 11 Spinal Tap - "These go to eleven...." - YouTube

Side benefit of an "over powered" strobe is that it will recycle faster.

Lots of people advise that you can never have too much power for wide angle.

S2000 to z240 is not much of a power bump, GN 20 vs GN 24. Neither tops the power charts.

For wide angle, I would buy the most power you can afford. You can always turn your strobe down, you can not turn it up beyond its capabilities. It goes to 11 Spinal Tap - "These go to eleven...." - YouTube

Side benefit of an "over powered" strobe is that it will recycle faster.

This is a completely generic statement. The power of the strobe you need depends on the apertures you shoot.Whilst with a DSLR cropped or full frame your minimum apertures range between 1/22 and 1/45 with a compact you don't get to more than f/8 hence your power requirements are smaller (exception cameras like RX100 or micro 4:3 are different)
So if you wanted to shoot at 1 meter something at f/8 with a compact you only need GN=13
Now there are few observations:
1. Advertised specs are not true for most of the strobes (i.e Inon Z240 is effective 20 in air not 24, S&S YS-D1 is 25 not advertised 32, Inon S2000 is 14 not 20
2. Compact cameras do not require apertures as small as DSLR as they have more depth of field at smaller f/number as the sensor is small so you need even less powerful strobes
3. It is difficult to handles two strobes that have a different user interface (S2000 controls are different from Z240)
4. Are you buying a strobe for your current camera or for a compact or you are planning to upgrade?
5. Sometimes the price difference is not significant so you may go as well top notch (Inon d2000 689 Inon Z240 799 same features more power likely the Z240 will be with your forever)
6. With most compacts it takes longer for the camera to be ready for the next shot due to shutter lag and time to write on the SD card than the external strobe to recycle (D2000 at full is 1.8 seconds Z240 1.6 seconds)

It follows that the Inon S2000/D2000 and Sea and Sea YS-01/02 do a great job with compacts and you really don't need more as you go with larger sensors cameras your need to upgrade.

This is one of my favorite S95 gallery with twin D2000 https://www.flickr.com/photos/13930495@N06/sets/72157627641133610/

I don't see any issues with lighting and of course the photographer is very skilled the same person afterwards changed camera and as he was shooting smaller aperture sold his two D2000 and bought two Z240

Another option: why not just add a 2nd S2000 to your set up?
Perhaps that would be enough...
I am actually using that set up: 2x S2000 strobes, Olympus E-PL2 with 45mm Leica macro lens + flatport and 9-18mm Olympus lens with ZEN dome port. (I still would like to have a fisheye lens...)

I refer to Scott at Underwater Photography a great deal. Lots of useful info and great UW photography education/training.

Chapter Index - Guide to Underwater Photography|Underwater Photography Guide

he believes the Z240 is OK for a compact, though probably not necessary. (I'm looking at the same question, with an OLY XZ-1).

Mark

PS: you can get a new Z240 for $600 at divervision as of today....the S2000 is $400 (they're out of Tiawan).

Last edited:
I used two S2000 strobes with my S95 for a couple of years and was very happy both in macro and wide angle. More than adequate

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom