Dive master training recomendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A quality DM program is going to require time. Getting the book work and water skills is only part of the DM course. I had to actively assist with open water, AOW, Nitrox, Deep, Rescue, and Cavern before my instructor signed off on my Card. I now actively assist with classes both in direct supervision and indirect supervision. It has made me a very good DM and it has given me the desire to become a PADI Instructor.

Going PRO is not a Destination, its a journey; take your time and enjoy the ride.

Also if you plan to move to Florida to be a Pro, my recommendation is make the move and then go pro locally. Like the shop i work with many shops like to develop their talent locally so the their DM's and instructors teach and dive like everyone else in the shop.

Excellent advice in all areas. My concern is that advancing so quickly (7 days), or even in a few months, is not going to provide enough different experiences. The various seasonal conditions U/W, changing currents and different types of currents, and helping students learn to recover from mistakes all take considerable time. as does gaining experiences in unique dive sites where you'll someday be taking OW and AOW students yourself as an instructor. Not to discourage anyone from pursuing DM level but I wouldn't have confidence in hiring one for my classes who hadn't gained a LOT of knowledge and experience before certification.

My suggestions: Expect to work with 20 or more classes from basic through the specialties and rescue, Take trips to a handful of dive locations around the world to experience their unique problems as well as enjoy them. Travel to dive sites where shore entry subjects you to riptides, large waves and rapidly-changing surf conditions. Dive in remote locations where towns and medical assistance aren't nearby. Do some blue water diving to gain skills that increase self-reliance and self-rescue so that you can better teach those. And most importantly, enjoy every moment, for as Dive_Master Tom said, it isn't a destination but a journey. A journey like this would be a huge asset to any instructor or shop.

A quality DM program is going to require time. Getting the book work and water skills is only part of the DM course. I had to actively assist with open water, AOW, Nitrox, Deep, Rescue, and Cavern before my instructor signed off on my Card. I now actively assist with classes both in direct supervision and indirect supervision. It has made me a very good DM and it has given me the desire to become a PADI Instructor.

Going PRO is not a Destination, its a journey; take your time and enjoy the ride.

Also if you plan to move to Florida to be a Pro, my recommendation is make the move and then go pro locally. Like the shop i work with many shops like to develop their talent locally so the their DM's and instructors teach and dive like everyone else in the shop.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Wow! So your Instructor made you do all of that to get signed off as a Divemaster. What agency did you do this with, out of curiosity?

Mine was similar to Tom's. Took almost a year and during that time I put maybe 100 hours in the pool assisting with classes from jr ow thru DM. Helped cert around 100 students in those classes on their OW dives. Did both saltwater and fresh. DM should never be one of those classes you just knock out in a few days or even weeks. My first DM was thru PADI. Then when I crossed over to YMCA and NAUI there were even more requirements. Like preparing lectures and giving them in the classroom and at poolside and conducting pool sessions. Another 6 months. Some of that by choice though as I took a couple tech diving classes.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom