What equipment to buy next?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Personally I would wait until you get your OW cert and see how you really like it. If you decide this is your thing, I would invest in the following in this order (my 2 cents):

1. Regulator/Gauges - for me there is something about using a reg that other people use. It is also good to know how it is being serviced etc.
2. BCD/BPW - If you have the regulator the next thing for me would be the BCD or BPW. Definately give a Backplate Wing consideration. It is not techie and I wished I had moved to a BPW sooner. Look in the equipment thread for the endless comments about BPWs.
3. Wetsuit - Depending on where you dive this would be in my top 3. Definately for cold water where you have to have one. If you are diving cold water then I would consider this a #2 choice. It is all about fit....
4. Computer - Trust me you won't die if you don't have one.... Not high on the list. Tables are fine to use for all recreational dives. DCs are a convenience in my opinion. Learn the tables and then in a year or so look for a DC.

I would also include a cutting device (Line cutter not a Rambo knife) and whistle etc. initially. This is low cost and for safety. It also depends on where you dive if you need a Surface Marker Bouy (SMB).

Buy good quality so it will last and don't be pushed into a purchase just because you dive shop says its the best. There is a buch of very smart peple here that are more than willing to help you decide.

Thats about it. You will accumulate other stuff as you dive more.

Good luck and have fun!

This is actually the order I bought it in (throw in at least one, probably 2 and later 3 tanks). I bought good used stuff, wash it after every dive and still use most of it after 9 years. Wetsuit..... You're looking at ocean temps. ranging from 40s F in winter (possibly 30s in MD, but unusual, I suspect) to 70s in summer in the mid Atlantic, and further South (SC, GA, N. FL) of usually winter 50s (possibly 40s, but not usual) to maybe 80 in summer. For me, the 7 mil farmer john covers all of this, though if really cold I look at only one dive in a day. Then you can ditch the pants and adjust trim for warmer, and go to a shorty or less for 60s-80s. The only way for you to know is to experiment, as everyone is different re cold. I would imagine you would want a 7 mil anyway if you are diving N. of SC anytime but summer.

I wouldn't worry about a reg yet.... rent first until you know what to buy (yeah it was in someone's mouth but that mouth was in seawater)... Best bet would be a wetsuit (people will warm up rental wetsuits in by.... ). But more to the point, fit is very important for a wetsuit and it will have a big impact on learning trim. I think as a beginner, a 5 mm semi dry would be a good place to start. a 7 mm farmer john will be warm but for most of your dives it will be overkill. Of all your gear, the wetsuit has the shortest life expectancy (most gear get replaced by choice, not necessity). 5mm suits are widely available for very reasonable prices. A hooded vest is a good way to improve the thermal characteristics of the wetsuit, so that may make a nice add-on for colder water.

Next I would say BCD and weights. learning trim is a lot more work with rented gear. You will value fit, comfort and familiarity more than who's mouth has been on a regulator. The BCD, and weights and wetsuit will make your dives much more enjoyable and easier. For weights, I would recommend get a belt and integrated pockets both. They make gear up and trim much easier, as opposed to cramming all the weight into pockets.

Heavier wetsuits and diving dry are good investments, but don't go insane when you are on a budget. A few well chosen pieces of gear are much better than a dive locker filled with occasionally used crap.

For small items, I would say 2 cutting tools, a knife and a line cutter. I never recommend a new diver to purchase something they will feel bad about dropping by accident. A BCD mounted knife and line cutter can be gotten for under $50. Multi tools are nice, but will you be okay when you lose it because it wasn't clipped back into the sheath properly.

I like having a wrist-mounted compass, and you wouldn't need to worry about if the one on a rented console worked. Dive computers have the advantage of keeping track of your depth, time, surface intervals, and water temp for you. A good starter computer will cost you southwards of $200. If you have visions of becoming a dive ninja you might spring for extra features that you'll want in the future, but that original computer can sit around later as a back-up.

Have fun with diving, try to spend the money on diving and not on gear for diving.

I currently have my personal dive system, pinnacle boots, aeris fins, and cressi mask and snorkel. But what's next? As you can tell I don't have brand loyalty or anything yet and I tried to go a little nicer than just cheap and basic. What type of equipment should I invest in, the class I'm taking we are just in a dive pool so that's all I have needed so far. So wetsuit (if so what thickness typically?), BC, regulator? I'm just thinking about what to invest in next. Thanks!
Why not ask your instructor? Part of the instr's job is to give you enough information that you can choose for yourself. I usually suggest after mask/snkl/fins/boots that a wetsuit purchase makes best choice. Think about where you will be diving and get appropriate thickness. Use it in pool during class to get familiar with buoyancy skills in it.Instructor should be able to give you correct benefits/features of different suits available. This is what you are paying him/her for! If instructor cannot do something this simple get a different instructor, as this one probably is not very good and has very limited experience.

Have fun with diving, try to spend the money on diving and not on gear for diving.

^^^ = good advice for sure

1) Forget brand loyalty. There is no magic cord between the mask and the fins.
2) Colours of the season, carbon fibre, titanium, nanofiber underwear, bottled liquids for mask defogging, latest innovations, ... - forget. Simple time tested solutions work well for most diving.

Some day you will wonder why there are so many new 'must have' technical innovations each spring, and why deep/cave divers still prefer the Jetfin of 1965, or the basic and reliable Apeks regs (or the even older Poseidon or other brands depending on region). Very demanding dives are beeing done with equipment that hasn't changed for decades. You don't need the latest equipment. You just need the equipment that makes things possible. It's your body that you dive with. The rest is there just to help. Ok, a breathing apparatus helps quite a lot... but if it delivers air in a reliable manner, then all the fine tuning knobs are... well... great for marketing.

Spend your money on diving, not gear. Some equipment is nice to own, but don't rush the decision. Study. Compare. Try if possible. If owning becomes more economical than renting, then buy.

Last edited:
Forgot to mention I bought the computer a year and a half after being certified, in fact just after the Deep Diver course. If you dive square profiles (or very shallow- ie. 30') you really don't need one IMO. Not to get into the tables vs. computer thing.

Factor in how likely you are to fit stuff too. If you're "hard to fit" then buying your own exposure protection should probably move up a notch. BCD's are more forgiving of fit, and regs of course are pretty universal.

And another vote to consider going dry directly, especially if you're contemplating some expensive "semi-dry" (semi-wet) suit for local conditions.

appropriate safety equipment for where you are diving = knife/cutter - ESSENTIAL in my opinion .... and bangers, small torch, surface whistle, SMB.... etc etc...
regs
Computer (ideally together with the regs)
the rest

safety equipment is often too easily overlooked. I agree with not rushing to buy regs. if you're funny about hire regs use your own mouth piece and put the hire one back on when returning the regs.

If you dive in the sea or in a lake where fishing takes place, then a cutting device is a cheap and healthy thing to carry. It is probably a good idea to carry one on almost every dive.

Freeing oneself from a fishing net may be difficult, if the net gets all over the place (especially around the valves on backmounted tanks). This typically happens when people, instead of just using the back kick, turn vertical, twist and panic. In a pool it is a fun excercise, though. Any cheap tomato knife from your kitchen will be of great help. Mount it on your forearm or belt. It need not be many inces long (short is good) and it certainly does not need to be made of titanium. I have used many types of little knives. Some rust. Some don't. Steels are many. Sure, some knives have serrated edges, line cutters, holes for a wrist lanyard, nice sheaths, ... but there is no need to invest a lot.

I am fairly new to diving myself, but I took a different approach. I bought just about everything PRIOR to taking any classes or ever diving. When I figured out that I was moving to Florida, I did a ton of research on here and other online sources and bought everything I needed to dive. I showed up at my local dive shops with An Atomic z2x regulator, ss1, fins, mask, BP&W, Fins, an oceanic computer. I used a rental wetsuit and borrowed weights until I figured out what I needed in those departments.

My reasoning was this: Me showing up with my own gear prevented me from being sold whatever the dive shop was selling. I used unbiased opinions instead of the opinion of someone trying to sell me what they had on their shelf. This also was better for me because after doing my homework, I knew the prices gear could be had online and didn't window shop at the dive shop and then later purchase online (which may leave a bad taste in the dive shop's mouth).

I also had the ability to be trained in my own gear, so if I had any issues my instructor was right there to correct them with me. I actually walked out on the first dive shop I went to because they refused to train me on my own gear which made no sense to me. I believe they just wanted me to learn on their rental gear so they made a couple more dollars then have me relearn on the gear I already purchased.....

The first time I dove I was wearing my gear, there was only 1 learning period. I didn't waste time in the water figuring out different equipment, configurations, weight requirements, etc. I was able to enjoy my dives more because of this I believe. I was also able to find killer deals on most everything I bought. I averaged about 50% of retail on all new equipment through closeout/ display sales. The dive shop I ended up using asked me how much I paid for everything and kind of shrugged like they could have sold me the same gear for the same money, but the things I did buy there I paid full retail for...... I understand they need to make money and I purchased some stuff through them for that reason, but slightly overpaying for a gear bag and a din to yolk adapter is better than overpaying for regulators, a wetsuit, a BP&W, mask, fins, snorkel, a computer, etc. Doing it that way basically got me all my training and certs for free with the money I would have spent in the dive shop instead of shopping around. I did pay for my training through them, (OW, AOW, Nitrox, and Rescue), so they still made some money off of me.

I was extremely comfortable in the water because after a couple dives, I knew how much weight I needed, how to work my computer, how to get my trim right, where my gauges were, how everything worked underwater together. I disagree with the opinions that you should rent everything available before making a purchase (I was given that same advice). Maybe try different setups such as a BP&W vs. a jacket type bcd, or steel vs aluminum tanks, but that's as far as I would take it. A BP&W with a hp steel 120 may be a little much if you are a small person, you may be more comfortable with an aluminum 80 with a jacket style bcd for example.

I would buy whatever piece of equipment you can afford, then immediately save up for the next one, the sooner the better in my opinion. the money your pissing away renting stuff could be going towards purchasing your own gear.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom