Redundant 1st stages

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bansiphansalkar

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Any thoughts/ links on redundant 1'st stages for single tanks? Am hoping somebody has already broached this subject before.
The idea is to have 2 1'st stages on one tank .... More reliable than one 1'st stage & octo combination. Are there any arrangements out there where one could fit two 1'st stages on a single tank?

Bansi

While one could use an H or Y valve for that type of setup it's really overkill for single tank diving. Not sure of your experience level but you should concentrate more on gas planning, a good buddy system and maintaining your gear so you are not worried about an OOA situation resulting from a 1st stage failure or poor planning and execution of a dive. As one gains more experience in years diving and number of dives other options such as doubles for tech dives or solo training for those so inclined could be explored. It would help to know if you are a new or experienced diver.

It is called a Y valve or an H valve.

It is not a common practice because it does not provide a completely redundant air system like an isolation manifolded twin set or my preferred, independent twins (not manifolded). If you are in a dive situation that requires two regulators then you are in a dive situation that needs a fully redundant air supply capability for each, or dare I say, a pony bottle of sufficient capacity.

N

Y-valves and H-valves on single tanks are a perfectly acceptable method of redundancy, especially where someone doesn't have experience with doubles or twins. It is (or at least was a long time ago) the preferred configuration for cavern and intro cave courses where you needed special permission for doubles because that was only for people with a lot of experience with them.

Y-valves are more common for yoke connection and H-valves for DIN. I have several yoke Y-valves that have never been used if you're interested. But I agree that it is a suspicious first post.

Thanks! for all the responses ..... I do not actually plan to implement the redundant 1'st stage config.... was more of an exploratory thought to hear if people had views/experiences on the subject.

AOW with light experience of ~200 dives.

Bansi

I had a buddy who tried it out.
in the end he swopped from yoke to din.

in Europe tanks with dual valves are rather common, our lakes are just too cold to be dived without redundant first stages for three quarters of the year

Back
Top Bottom