Upscale resort and OW certification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

geoff w

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
One of my wife's partners is talking about going to Belize for a week around New Years and is considering getting certified. Thsi couple is very much in to the upscale experience, food and accommodations, and from my limited research, Hamanasi sounds like the nicest, most upscale resort. Is there any other place to consider in Belize? If Hamanasi sounds nice enough, I may even be able to talk my wife into going for a week (even though it's the wrong time of year for whale sharks)

How is the OW certification program at Hamanasi? I'm sure they would even bring along an instructor for the week if needed, and do other training as well (seriously), although doing the coursework at home and then referral for OW dives makes more sense to me.

Placencia has some pretty fancy digs, with Francis Ford Coppola's Turtle Inn being the most well-known. For $2,500/night, you can even sleep in his private villa and be waited on by his private butler, assuming he's not already there, of course. A decent chance of bumping into a movie star even.

They could certify through a dive shop like Splash Dive Center.

I'd also check out Turneffe Island Resort and Turneffe Flats, in that order. Probably no movie stars, but Tommy Lee Jones did stay a week at TIR once a while back, lol. I don't know about TF but TIR does OW certifications, probably on a referral basis.

I haven't stayed at Hamanasi, but I did check it out last time I was there. Nice place. The dive shop looked good. I bet they have instructors on site but you could check with them easily enough.

Another possibility could be Hatchet Caye. I've only seen it on my way to the Silk Cayes and back but it looks nice.

Cayo Espanto, private island. The Phoenix, San Pedro town. Victoria House, south San Pedro. Mata Chica, north Ambergris Caye. I can go on, please let me know if you want a few more.

Hamanasi have a good and well equipped dive centre, with their own instructors.

Thanks for all the great suggestions. The only problem now is I want to go too!

Both Turneffe Island Resort and Turneffe Flats will provide the referral course, they're quiet resorts but stunning in my opinion.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom