Dry suit course failure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I met with this dive club for the first time at the site so they had my suit size and so I put it on for the first time there and then. I probably should have made a bigger deal about the neck seal, but as it was my first time in a suit I thought maybe it would be fine. They did have a spare suit but my clothes were wet through...and I had a new tattoo that I couldn't risk getting wet
Getting a good fit on the seals is slightly more important than a perfect fit (others may disagree). Latex seals should feel tight; the problem for the neck seal is it has to be big enough to go over your head yet small enough to seal. A neoprene neck seal is rolled-in (the opposite way to a polar neck sweater), the air in the suit ‘helps’ to make the seal – again it should be snug.

Out of interest which club were you with?
My other issue with Wraysbury is that I don't own a car anymore - so if I were to go there to practice in low viz in a wet suit the lack of showers would be a pain in the butt as I'd have a 2 hour train journey back home all smelly and wet!
Most people I’ve met who dive UK regularly have all their own kit. Without your own transport you’re going to have problems using public transport, especially if you change a few times – some bus and train operators won’t allow cylinders on board.

I think I might go to Chepstow and spend 3 days there doing a dry suit course / diving. I hear the viz is meant to be excellent?
Ask yourself this question. Which is more important, learning to use a dry-suit or good visibility?

Kind regards

Most people I’ve met who dive UK regularly have all their own kit. Without your own transport you’re going to have problems using public transport, especially if you change a few times – some bus and train operators won’t allow cylinders on board.

From London, Wraysbury is very do-able on the train. I did for a year and half, with a full set of kit (including a cylinder), nearly every week. I think I even did it with a twinset once (although I certainly won't do that again). If you know how to pack a cylinder, you can get it on public transport (green army bag). It isn't ideal, and I'm thankful I now have a driving licence and car. But, it is something that can be done. And if you don't have kit, it's even easier.

My dive school was at Wraysbury this weekend as well and they reported the worst visability the DM's have seen in quite a while. It's the curse it has with it being the only readily accessible dive site to London sadly so some weekends it's quite horrific. It's a shame as my first dive after qualifying was just to stay on for a bit and then head out with a DM - it's entirely different with no silt being kicked up!

I didn't do my drysuit at the time of my OW but two guys on my course did. I waited one more dive and did my drysuit qualification in Iceland without any issues so I completely disagree with anyone who says you need more dives under your belt before you should consider doing it. All comes down to the individual as a diver.
As I'm UK based I really do need a drysuit to dive as much as I want, bi-annual holidays aren't enough to satisfy my diving craves! My first drysuit will be ready at the end of the month, and I'll be heading to Wraysbury to test it out.

I would say I'd see you there but you never know with the vis ;-)

Last edited:
Dry suit course completed ;-)

The viz was c*** but after a week in Malta and completing my AOW it gave me more confidence to handle the shocking viz. Biggest issue I faced was getting the damn suit over my head, I have an unfortunately large head but slim neck!

I had a terrible drysuit class. The pool portion was in a pool where there were kids in swim lessons who were apparently afraid of us. Rather than take this as a chance to introduce these kids to diving, the swim lesson instructor took it upon herself to literally scream at us to stay away or stay down. As to the suit I was provided it was two sizes too big for me and the rock boots were the same. Obviously I couldn't get my fins on over the boots, but I was told "... not to worry."

So it's the open water checkout at a rocky shore lake a week before Christmas a few years ago. The instructor didn't bring the fins that fit over the too large boots. What was I told to do? I walked into the water basically barefoot with just the footies of the suit and my wool socks underneath (the undergarment was ridiculously large). My feet were hurting, I was cold as $#@&, and I just wanted out of the 38*F water but I wanted that c-card so I pushed on. The instructor didn't bother to tell me not to move my head so I did my roll and BAM the suit started the flood. Then, while I was sitting on the bottom working on keeping my cool (ha ha) and the neck seal flat out went. Full suit flood. I finished all my skills soaked to the bone. And like you viz, there was none. I couldn't read my computer without bringing it almost right to my nose.

The best part? The owner of the shop wanted to sell me a drysuit upon return. He was shocked I was not happy with the experience from the pool to the lake and just couldn't seem to understand why I didn't want to purchase a suit immediately upon return.

You should do some dives in a wetsuit in low viz to get comfortable in that environment. Load more tasks on as you become more comfortable with your surroundings and build confidence in your skills.

I did not learn anything from my first drysuit course (SSI) except that the instructor kept saying "keep trying, you will figure it out". Finally I took another drysuit course (PADI) and had an instructor that TAUGHT me how to dive a drysuit instead of just taking my money and telling me to figure it out on my own. Now I love diving dry and hate diving wet.

If you find a good instructor I am sure you will love a drysuit as well. I love diving but I hate being uncomfortable. A drysuit does it for me. It is never too early to learn to dive dry. Check out this video.

Whites Fusion Training - YouTube

As others have pointed out you were over tasked. It is possible to learn Drysuit even during open water training BUT that requires that you work in a confined water environment (read Pool here) before venturing into the open water. Your task levels were challenged by not having many dives under your belt, getting into a stressful low viz environment and trying to learn a new dive system, in this case the suit. I recommend you go back and get into a pool or dive at a site where the water is clear and you are not having to take in so many varibles. Break it down and work it one step at a time. Divers around the world have different learning curves based not only on their abilities and that of the instructor but also the environments in which they dive. Don't give up drysuit diving in the UK is fairly normal especially if you want to dive the channel. Not to suggest your instructor isn't good here is a video that shows some suggestions to handle the suit: Genesis Scuba Diving Institute of Florida
Keep working at it, dive the suit often. Once you get use to it, it will be great, good luck

Dry suit course completed ;-)

The viz was c*** but after a week in Malta and completing my AOW it gave me more confidence to handle the shocking viz. Biggest issue I faced was getting the damn suit over my head, I have an unfortunately large head but slim neck!

Congratulations.

The head/neck issue is quite common, more so for the ladies I understand.

Now the enjoyable bit, just get out there and DIVE.

Kind regards

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom