Deep Diving Query

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There was a guy who got banned for resurrecting old threads. Of course, he made a habit of it, and did not stop when asked to. Until he was gone....

Amazing, back then it was open and shut in 4 posts.

Today we're up to 7 more strangling the issue. He was ahead of his time and could not be offered a HOG regulator :D

It's very easy to dive deep. Any fool can do it and many do. It's no accomplishment whatsoever.

That is exactly what's dangerous about it: it's too easy. You really need the training to make you stop and think, and to better appreciate what you are doing.

One fast example: you probably think you have enough air for the depth you plan to visit. Let's pretend that at the end of you bottom time, just as you are getting ready to start back up, something happens and you need to start sharing air. Calculate a good 5 mins delay at this bottom depth to find you buddy, start sharing air, then get squared away & calmed down. Now you can head up, but remember to make your deep & safety stops. Now calculate that as soon as you started sharing air both of you, due to stress, started using 50% more air than usual (very believable). Did you still have enough air?

Been to 121' once and felt no real evidence of narcosis. Some people are more affected than others. Apparently, I'm pretty good at holding my nitrogen-liquor.

I frequently dive 100+' and feel the same as at 30', and I know that I am not as affected by narcosis as many people are, because when I took my AOW course years ago, my instructor had me solve a long-division problem on the surface, and then a very similar one at a depth sub-100' and my time on the one at depth was only 2 seconds longer than on land.

The only thing about diving deep that I've noticed that frequently gets other divers in trouble is PAY ATTENTION. Pay attention to EVERYTHING. How you feel, how your buddy feels, your air, time at depth, depth, Po2, EVERYTHING. Things can get very bad, very quick down there. And always, always dive a more conservative profile than you think is necessary.

But there's no reason why you should feel an obligation to go deeper if you don't want to. Trust me, you're not missing a whole lot by not diving that deep.

Seeing the Oriskany is not worth it if you're uncomfortable with the dive profile

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I have been down to 150' to look at something specific- otherwise there is no reason to go on a deep dive. I have no certification beyond OW1. My first dive trip was to Cozumel and not knowing any better- we thought we were restricted to 60' which kind of amused everyone else on the boat. So anyway almost right off the bat we were doing deeper dives than our OW1 suggested and it was not a problem- you do not feel different but you sure do use a lot more air and deco time. I would suggest going no deeper than 90' until you see your air consumption improve over your beginning rate and know you will not panic if your dive equipment fails you in some manner. Get comfortable with your skills- and then go for more depth-IMHO.

an unbalanced reg is much harder to breathe from at depth.

Whether or not a regulator is air-balanced has absolutely nothing to do with how hard it is to breath at depth, and everything to do with how the regulated pressure varies with tank pressure for the first stage, and how the cracking pressure varies with the intermediate pressure for the second stage. Basically, the regulator is more consistent as you empty the tank.

That being said, most balanced regulators usually have features that also make them better breathing. It's just that the "balanced" part is not one of those features.

Zombie threads. The gift that keeps on giving...

28446d1334387873-white-tree-frog-call-tallahasse_zombie_thread.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom