Funny diving stories for the book I should write....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would like to say that this was someone else but unfortunately, it was me.

We had done dive one of the day and had headed in closer to shore for our surface interval. We were anchored over a large beach of white sand about 5-6' deep. I was looking out over the side of the boat and noticed a starfish. There was plenty of light and the water was calm so I decided I would like to snap a quick pic or 2 of the starfish. I grabbed my mask and jumped in to get the picture. As I was swimming over to the starfish face down in the water I realized I didn't have my snorkel when I went to try to breath. I sheepishly went back over to the boat and asked for the ladder so I could climb back in. I had become accustomed to having a regulator in my mouth and had taken in a little water and coughed a couple of times. One of the other divers on the boat asked me if I forgot I needed some other equipment. I quietly answered and embarrassed yes. We all had a good laugh about it with one of the others admitting to having done the same thing themselves. You can't inhale saltwater very well.

My wife said on the boat on the way out one day that she didn't particularly like doing swim-thrus.

This guy on the boat says how great they are and how he does them all the time and goes into this big explaination on HOW to properly "swim" thru a swim-thru...she said she didn't LIKE them, not she didn't know how.

My wife is one of the best technically adept divers I know, she barely stirrs the water going thru a swim-thru, let alone the sand.

We get to the site (Devil's Throat, by the way) and this guy goes ahead of us...arms flapping, kicking up sand, bumping into the sides and ceiling, almost going to the right instead of the left at "that" point (after being told specifically twice on the boat about it), if Wilma haddn't wiped out the 'cross' sponge, this guy probably would have...so much for the "experts"

Diving one time with Dive Paradise as part of a large dive shop trip, I messed up. My BC wouldn't fit in the tank holder with weights in the pockets, so I planned to stick the weights in at the last minute. Did my backroll, but found myself having to kick down to the 30' sandy area under the boat and I felt very light even with no air in my BC. Then it dawned on me, I had no weight. Duh! So I brought my buddy back up with me to the boat, got my weights in, and they dropped us close to where our group had drifted. We kicked hard to get to the wall, then finally caught up with the group in a swimthrough at 90'. Barely catching our breath, we followed the group out of the swimthrough only to experience my one and only downcurrent I've ever had the pleasure to meet. I was kicking hard against it, still at 80', when I realized I was already below 500 psi.

Ended up living to dive another day. My poor buddy was crying back on the surface, she thought she was gonna die because she never did catch her breath. And she had less than 1000 psi left. The first time she had ever been back to the boat with triple digits. I showed her that I was down to 150, certainly not a worry to drop below 1,000! The rest of us laughed off the experience. What doesn't kill you makes you laugh. But not her, she was so freaked out that she sat out the second dive, a totally mellow current-free drop on the Felipe X.

We were on a dive in Tahiti when the DM started to move erratically with a panicked look on his face. We all tried to approach him to see if we could help. He waved us off then started to peel out of all his dive gear still looking very uneasy. We all just sat there trying to figure out what he was doing. It suddenly dawned on us when he was floating there half naked looking like a yard sale at 80feet with a look of relief on his face. He suited back up and continued the dive. On the boat he told us in a strong French accent "I don't pee in my wetsuit!"

I don't get it also but I am not too sure I want to know.

Again, my "pre-flight inspection checklist" husband said that I had to remove the little vent on the end of my horseshoe BC before flying with it. Not sure if this is accurate, but it made him happy that I removed it...

I'm guessing that they are referring to the bottom dump valve of their BC, so that their BC bladder is not a sealed unit during air travel.

However, I don't believe it necessary to remove this for air travel.
But the other kind of butt plug? That one should be removed for travel. It could get in the way of the TSA. :wink:

I would like to say that this was someone else but unfortunately, it was me.

We had done dive one of the day and had headed in closer to shore for our surface interval. We were anchored over a large beach of white sand about 5-6' deep. I was looking out over the side of the boat and noticed a starfish. There was plenty of light and the water was calm so I decided I would like to snap a quick pic or 2 of the starfish. I grabbed my mask and jumped in to get the picture. As I was swimming over to the starfish face down in the water I realized I didn't have my snorkel when I went to try to breath. I sheepishly went back over to the boat and asked for the ladder so I could climb back in. I had become accustomed to having a regulator in my mouth and had taken in a little water and coughed a couple of times. One of the other divers on the boat asked me if I forgot I needed some other equipment. I quietly answered and embarrassed yes. We all had a good laugh about it with one of the others admitting to having done the same thing themselves. You can't inhale saltwater very well.
I used to breathe through my snorkel at the surface at the beginning of dives while waiting for other folks to get in the water and getting the "OK to descend" signal from the DM. I don't do that any more. It only took once forgetting to switch to my reg to cure me of that habit. Cough. Sputter.

..snip..
As I was swimming over to the starfish face down in the water I realized I didn't have my snorkel when I went to try to breath. I sheepishly went back over to the boat and asked for the ladder so I could climb back in. I had become accustomed to having a regulator in my mouth and had taken in a little water and coughed a couple of times. One of the other divers on the boat asked me if I forgot I needed some other equipment. I quietly answered and embarrassed yes. We all had a good laugh about it with one of the others admitting to having done the same thing themselves. You can't inhale saltwater very well.

I used to breathe through my snorkel at the surface at the beginning of dives while waiting for other folks to get in the water and getting the "OK to descend" signal from the DM. I don't do that any more. It only took once forgetting to switch to my reg to cure me of that habit. Cough. Sputter.

That's just lack of snorkeling practice. After many years of regular snorkeling you seem to develop a sixth sense that what you're drawing in is water and not air and you stop inhaling even before your mouth gets wet. I must have changed from my snorkel to my regulator many times during descent without ever swallowing or inhaling any water. Even with empty lungs (long exhale to start descending) it shouldn't be an issue.

When snorkeling in choppy water with a conventional snorkel it's regularly full of water so the start of the inhale is always slow to see if the airway is clear.

Back
Top Bottom