Why does my pain go away when I dive??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just tought I would let everybody know that I talked to my pain management doctor and he has agreed to let me try treatment in a chamber, the good news is that I found out today that my insurance will cover it...YeeHaw!!!! I will let ya'll know how it turns out.:mean:

Originally posted by TRUETEXAN
I just tought I would let everybody know that I talked to my pain management doctor and he has agreed to let me try treatment in a chamber, the good news is that I found out today that my insurance will cover it...YeeHaw!!!! I will let ya'll know how it turns out.:mean:

I'll be interested in hearing about your chamber ride. Last year I had the chance to go through the chamber while taking an O2 Provider class. At the time, I was having some back and knee pain...slipped disc and arthritis problems. I noticed then that the deeper we got, the less pain I had.

You lucked out with the insurnace coverage :thumb:

I got to take my ride in the chamber Friday and guess what? The pain went away just as if I was diving. They had me breathe O2 on and off while I was in the chamber. Today (Saturday) I went diving so that I could compare the two, and what I noticed was that I actually start to get some relief as soon as I enter the water, I am assuming from the weightlessness, and the pain subsides as I descend until it pretty much goes away by the time I reach about 45-55ft. The only thing is, is that the relief from the chamber is just like the relief I get when I go diving in that the pain returns whenever the activity is over. I think I am going to get the doctor to write me a prescription for diving, and then write me a note to give my boss and my wife so that they will understand..HaHa.. Anyway, I thought everyone would like to know how it went. I sure wish someone could figure out how to help my chronic pain on a daily basis, but until then I guess I will just charish my dive time that much more!!:)

Hay TrueTex, I’m get so relaxed underwater that I fell asleep once. I didn’t sleep very long but I awoke to a loud noise, an explosion I thought. That’s when I realized that I’d been asleep (of course you don’t know you’ve been asleep until you wake up). Then I started looking around and I couldn’t understand why the other people in my group weren’t looking for the source of the load noise. I thought it was an explosion, bomb or somethin’. Just about then another bubble from my reg hit in the ear.
My real point is with chronic pain sometimes goes away when your mind is fully engaged plus the other effects related to diving. Anyway that’s what I’ve experienced and try to experience it as much as possible.

MK
PS there might be some additional side affects from the hyperbaric oxygen. If so I think I’ll get a prescription from my doctor. Just imagine, health insurance paying for my drive trips. Na, it’ll never happen.

TT, your hyperbaric therapy seems to be telling you something. Have any more innovative meds or methods, eg outside of pain pills been discussed or prescribed?

Have you tried chiropracty, massage, acupuncture or herbs? Below I've listed some common home remedies.

*Ginkgo Biloba
Aspirin
MSM
*Essential Fatty Acids(fish oil+primrose oil)
capsaicin
*KM
Chondroitin Sulfate
*=try first

Gingko has been shown to improve circulation.
Aspirin "thins" the blood and relieves pain
MSM relieves joint pain
EFA's act by reducing inflammation
capsaicin is a pain reliever
KM(Matol) is an herbal tonic which appears to improve oxygen transport
Chondroitin Sulfate is thought to have some benefit by transporting nutrients in cartilage.

Taking aspirin and ginkgo may result in a tendency to bruise or to hinder coagulation. Taking both may increase this tendency. The KM may take 2-6 months, or two days, to effect noticable benefit. Don't know why. Some of these remedies, such as the EFA's effect on joint inflammation, have been reported to be effective by the JAMA. Others, such as Chondroitin, are more speculative.

Thanks for the info devjr, yes I have tried many things on your list and I do currently take Glucosamine/Chondroiton cobo, not much has ever really helped, even the really strong narcotics unless I was on large doses, and I just don't like to doped up all the time, plus they all hae some nasty side effects. After the chamber ride and talking to the doctor I think I am going to buy a hot-tub and try that on a daily basis, plus I should be able to make that purchase with less friction than when I buy new dive gear, as far as my wife goes anyway!

That's smart. The first thing I did after leaving Miami Mercy was take a hot bath(not shower). I got immediate relief from some of the lingering "pins and needles" and ice cold lower limbs. I chided the chamber doc about not offering whirlpool therapy.

Wow thats neat! Im glad that you seem to be homming in on your pain problem.

I wonder................

"hey honey, I need to go diving, my bad knees starting to hurt really bad."

Nope my wife dinna fall for that.......... sigh...........

Mark

hey truetexan, be careful with the duragesic patch and hot tub. i have fibromyalgia and rheumatoid arthritis. i used take 75mcg duragesic patches as well and they warn you NOT to use a heating blanket, heating pad or use a hot tub while you have the patch on. i had a little reaction to the patches, so now i am currently on 60 mg of kadian (morphine sulphate) twice a day. the meds do not make me feel loopy while diving either and i have my pain management doctor sign a release for the dive shops.. my fiancee is almost always my dive partner, so there is always someone who knows my medical history in case of emergency..

the first time i dove with the patch, i was worried about the ambient pressure and the possibility of it releasing too much medication in my blood stream. i took off my patch when i completed the deep dive for my advanced certification. i took the patch off on the morning i was supposed to do the deep dive, the reapplied a new patch after the dive. the second day, we did a shore dive and all of a sudden, *poof* i was at 85 ft. it made me feel a little tired, so you might just keep that in mind when diving with the patch.. all my other dives were 50ft or less (gotta love those bonaire shore dives) and i had no problem whatsoever.

i do worry a little about diving on narcotics, or maybe more, what people would think (especially someone like the divemaster on a guided dive that does not understand pain). being in pain, the medications do not make me loopy or make me feel 'under the influence;, but i pay special attention and i have my fiancee pay special attention as well and i have no problem stopping a dive if for any reason i feel 'funny' about it....

i too have noticed that i have less pain when i dive.. i have always though it was a combination of exercise and warm water.. my ultimate goal is to become a divemaster in some tropical location since diving seems to be so therapeutic....

Back
Top Bottom