Tahoe Cert Dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Now I've heard of people being certified in Lake Folsom. Haven't personally dove there, from what I understand the visibility is very poor, which would prepare you for low visibility diving, but not ocean diving, and not much to see except for the occasional beer bottle or can from what I understand.

The viz was really bad as would be expected for a low viz research training dive with UC Davis. Also, some knucklehead was trolling in the area (we had flags up) and his lure caught me on the arm. I wasn't hurt as I broke his thin mono line. Catching a 160 lb fish on 10-15 pound test just doesn't work! :D

Certify in Monterey. As has been stated, it will help prepare you for surge and waves as well as being very respected.
My first dives out of the area was in Cozumel where I was asked where I had been certified... Monterey I said. Oh, cold California! You will be fine.

Plus there is really so much more to see. I have dove in Tahoe and yes it is clear. But what do you see? Some small schools of minnows and some crayfish in the dirty rocks.

Dive in Monterey and see lots of life and color. Really, there is NO comparison.

Where is your location? are you planning on diving in the ocean?...if you are planning on being an ocean diver in Monterey..get your check out dives in Monterey..We will not allow a diver to dive with our shop or club in Monterey without having a training dive in the ocean, if they have never made an ocean cold water dive..our oceans in Monterey have kelp, surf, surge, current and visability besides the bouancy issue of salt...

Plus, the conditions at Monterey are often at their best in the late fall / winter.

Hello alibi2

I'm inland a bit, just south of Sacramento, and I plan to do the majority of my dives, mostly practice, in the area lakes (Don Pedro Res., Comanche Res.) but I also want to do a fair share of salt-water dives. I've been talking (via posts) to someone in Woodland who visits Monterey a couple of times a month, and I hope to team up with her when I get my cert.

Also, to fisheater post following, I certainly want to be certified and have a fair number of dives by the time spring rolls around, so it's good to know Monterey is better for winter diving. I know it's not the only diving on the coast, so I'll be doing more research to other places for additional diving and certs down the road.

It's getting closer...

LSF
:coffee:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom