1442 vs 1250 mm Lens for Olympus EM-5

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If I buy the 1250 and the 60mm, is there a reason to buy the 45mm lens?

I've not yet used a 60mm underwater, but my gut reaction is, "No." Both the 45mm and 60mm are macro lenses - the 60 gives more magnification.

The 60mm is reported to fit the 12-50 Nauticam lens port! One less port to buy/carry. [note: the 12-50 port will not allow u/w access to the macro switches on the 60mm lens. You will need to preset the focus range with this lens port.]

the 45mm is NOT a macro lens! Its meant as a portrait lens. I had it and used it temporarily as "macro". While nice at F1.8 it requires a minimum focal distance of 50cm which is not desired for Macro you want to be as close as possible to your object.
the 60mm TRUE macro has a minimum focal distance of 19cm.
for you metric challenged 50cm = 19.7in ; 19cm = 7.5in

the 45mm is NOT a macro lens! Its meant as a portrait lens. I had it. While nice at F1.8 it requires a minimum focal distance of 50cm
the 60mm TRUE macro has a minimum focal distance of 19cm.
for you metric challenged 50cm = 19.7in ; 19cm = 7.5in

There is a 45mm macro lens from Panasonic for the m4/3 system.

Just got the 12-50mm port and it is a flat port with an amazing complex gear to operate it in the Nauticam housing.
As I will try to use it in the next days I will report my experience but for now I am a bit diffident about this solution for underwater use.
The 12mm with a flat port is maybe worse as a wide angle solution than the 14-42mm behind the Zen port I was used to. On the other hand it is probably a better solution for Macro work with the add-on lens (although I was able to use the add-on lens on the ZEN dome port with good results for Macro work).
mmm in the meantime I hope I can assemble it.. :)

Just got the 12-50mm port and it is a flat port with an amazing complex gear to operate it in the Nauticam housing....

As I will try to use it in the next days I will report my experience but for now I am a bit diffident about
mmm in the meantime I hope I can assemble it.. :)

Have you seen this: Installation of Nauticam Gear Set for Olympus M.Zuiko 12-50mm F3.5-6.3 EZ

'Amazingly complex' seems to cover it nicely! I don't think I would be taking this apart every day to use topside between dives, which reduces it's appeal as the ultimate 'one-size-fits-all' travel kit. I'll be very interested to hear how people find it, particularly how it performs at the wide end...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom