Altitude issues if staying in Captain Cook area

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Have dove at 2 step and drove back to Kona a few times. By the time we get our stuff off and lugged back to the car, hung out for a bit, and then left, its at least 45 minutes to an hour. Zero issues. I had the same question at first, and asked several sources and was told the 2000 ft max as well.

every time I see the title of this thread I read ATTITUDE issues, not ALTITUDE issues...lol...just thought I'd mention it....

Haven't been to the Kona side, yet, only Hilo and VNP. Is there an attitude problem that I need to be forewarned about? :wink:

Kona Paradise has some nice diving! Sea conditions have been outstanding for shore diving, and look to stay that way for several days.

I'm sure there's a better, complicated theoretical analysis that can be done, but at 1500 ft atmospheric pressure is less than 1 psi lower than sea level. Hardly much of a relative difference, almost within the range of common sea level pressure fluctuation.

This is the table I use.

http://www.ndc.noaa.gov/pdfs/AscentToAltitudeTable.pdf

You have to use tables to do it. Altitude change is the difference between the dive site and the maximum altitude obtained (destination or travel to it) rounded UP to the next 1000ft. Please note repet group is the max obtained in the last 24 hours, not your current group. Interval, however, starts after the most recent dive.

This is the table I use.

http://www.ndc.noaa.gov/pdfs/AscentToAltitudeTable.pdf

You have to use tables to do it. Altitude change is the difference between the dive site and the maximum altitude obtained (destination or travel to it) rounded UP to the next 1000ft. Please note repet group is the max obtained in the last 24 hours, not your current group. Interval, however, starts after the most recent dive.
Also note that the groups in that table are NOAA/USN pressure groups and the altitude table should be used in conjunction with dive tables such as this:
http://www.ndc.noaa.gov/pdfs/NoDecoAirTable.pdf - not your typical recreational agency tables.

For example, PADI has groups A-Z, NOAA uses A-N, and they are not equivalent.

If in doubt, do a Google search for NOAA drive to altitude after diving tables. Find their tables and run some two tank dive profiles so you have an idea of what you are looking at. I have to go to 1300 to get home, I like to give it an hour or two around town before I head home if I feel I've pushed it, haven't actually looked at the tables for that altitude. I do know you can be looking at ten hours or more to head to the east side on the profiles I've run.

Your only problem besides going up on the mountains would be well north of Pahala toward Volcano, Capt. Cook and South Point are fine.

Back
Top Bottom