AOW - first deep dive.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I haven't done it yet. Was supposed to do my navigation and underwater photography today but as I've asked to go on when the boat is not so full (it gets too hectic with big groups on the boat) that's now been postponed until Wednesday and then I'll book the deep dive (the last of my specialties) after that.

Did my navigation & photography yesterday (see pics :) - all good except I had problems with my left ear again.
Will hopefully do my deep in the next few days then that's it! :)

Looks like Wednesday is the day. Not nearly as nervous now as I've done a couple of dives per week for the last few weeks.

Good luck. Try to relax. On my deep dive, the big thing I noticed was face freeze in the quarry I dive in. And even that, you get adjusted to fairly quickly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Good luck. Try to relax. On my deep dive, the big thing I noticed was face freeze in the quarry I dive in. And even that, you get adjusted to fairly quickly.
What is "Face freeze"?

If you end up with your face in very cold water, you can get a sensation akin to the "ice cream headache" people get from eating or drink cold foods too fast. It's only temporary, but uncomfortable while it lasts.

you 90' dive will be the same, you wont know it till you look at your depth gage. if you can make it to 20' then the rest is a piece of cake.

Yes, unfortunately both the deep dive and buoyancy are both mandatory to gain my open Advanced water cert. (I got to choose the other 3 specialties myself)
I've dived to 20 metres before with no problems. I didn't even realise I was that far down until I checked my computer. Yesterday I dove to 18 during my naturalist course with no issues.
My instructors know me well and know I'm a nervous person - I usually do one stupid thing a dive ie. descending without my regulator in my mouth or putting my wetsuit on backwards. I think it's due to nerves and not (until recently) diving regularly. I am getting better as I'm doing a dive approx once per week now I live literally next to the water and the boat is moored at my front door. :D

If you end up with your face in very cold water, you can get a sensation akin to the "ice cream headache" people get from eating or drink cold foods too fast. It's only temporary, but uncomfortable while it lasts.

I didn't know it had a name. Haha. Been there, done that.

My deep dive was in a lake with poor visibility. There was no sensation of being that deep other than it was very cold. The funny part was it was also pitch black. So the PADI color plates were useless when you had so shine a light on them to see them. Lake Travis in Austin, TX actually has a platform at that depth. We did some exercises, wrote down what everyones depth gauges read and started back up. Thats the only problem I had. We had done the peak performance dives and they took some weight off. On the way up to the safety stop and bottle, I could not stay down. Twisted every way I could to get any stray air out of bc but was having to kick downward. It must be a pretty common problem though. The instructor grabbed me and clipped a big 5 pound weight to my BC. While it was worth doing, I don't know that I would dive that deep again. Right now I don't even know if there is any place in Texas you dive that deep.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom