Compressor Hours

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is 2100 hours considered a lot of hours on a compressor?

So many variables, it's an impossible question to answer as asked.

Has the compressor been properly maintained according to the manufacturer's recommended schedule? If so, then 2100 hours is fine. My main compressor has just over 2000 hours on it, and it runs like a dream. Customers often poke their heads into the tank room and comment on how nice my 'new' compressor looks.

OTOH, if the machine has been flogged to death and not properly maintained, by the time it's done a couple of thousand hours it could easily be on its last legs.

A quick external check (is it clean, does it look looked-after?) and a check that the unit still pumps at its designed output rate will tell you an awful lot about what sort of life it's led so far.

What kind of compressor?

How big is the compressor? Over what period? On a big one, then it will be nothing, on a small one, then it will be more. If in 6 months, then huge, if in 20 years, not so bad. Our Bauer Junior II has about 920 hours at the moment (10 years). I would not consider this too much.

I have over 10k hours on my surface-air compressor. Use it up to 8 hours a day for over ten years. Still pumping great. Had to rebuild one time due to a bearing going out.

I have a bit over 3200 hours on my Bauer Capitano right now. I have had it apart a few times but it's still going strong.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom