Captain Lost Our Group

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had a out of air problem and surfaced halfway through a dive. At the surface the DM and I found the boat captain with his feet up on the dash reading a newspaper! The DM returned to the group below and left me to try to get the captains attention. It wasn't easy. A whistle would have help alot.

I'm not sure how many captains actually watch bubbles. If they watched the bubbles they would be right on top of you and they never are. A lot of the time their so far away they couldn't possibly see your bubbles.

I can't comment on other Boat Captains, but Nivo was always within easy sight when we surfaced. Did you have an SMB? It can be hard to spot a diver on the surface without one. When one or more divers were low on air, the DM would float an SMB while they did their safety stop and the boat was right there when they surfaced. The DM would then continue the dive with the other divers and keep the SMB on the surface for the boat to follow.

Christi, appropriate response, great too have owner/operators deal with a situation ASAP. You and i know each other, but I have never had a chance to dive with you, that might change. ???, what is the protocol for the Capt to notify authorities for help. Here in the West Palm Beach area, if a diver is 15 minutes overdue, Coast Guard is to be called. Did he put it out on radio that he needed help in finding divers. I bet boats would have come out of the harbor immediately to search. As a working DM in Jupiter, I am amazed how many divers don't carry a mirror, which I have used many times, and SMB's.

IF I had to do a major swim & I thought that by wearing a BCD I was using extra energy due to drag or not being able to work my arms in the normal way that I swim I'd dump it. I'd rather dump the BCD than use twice the energy trying to drag it back to shore. The situation would dictate whether that may mean the difference in getting to shore.

You must have more energy and stamina than my sorry old self....:D I couldn't imagine ditching my flotation unless the drag was stopping me from making it ashore, like you mention. Back in my beach diving days I got in the habit of rolling on my back fully inflated to do my slow lazy kick out to the dive sites. Usually I made pretty good progress that way.

I have seen all the comments, etc regarding SMBs and I know some of the posters and am wondering why no one has pointed out the need to practice, practice, practice their use. Remember SMBs can cause rapid ascents, depending on the type of inflation OOA problems trying to inflate with your mouth, etc.

If you plan on carrying one practice with it, know how to let out line safely and keep from getting tangled. Always remember to drop the spool etc.

I always carry one in Coz and I tell the DM on the first dive that at 50 feet on ascent I will deploy mine and go through my inflation and spool drills as practice.

Just my 2 cents

Yes I'm in decent physical condition especially for my age because I do manual labour. I work by myself so whatever needs doing falls right into my hands. I restore cars, mostly Corvettes, and there's a lot of hand sanding involved so my arms & shoulders get a workout on a regular basis. Here's the link to what I do on a regular basis.

https://picasaweb.google.com/116179596240613012497/AJSCorvette

Now as I've said it would depend on the situation as to whether or not I'd dump my equipment. If I were in a group I'd stay with them & do what ever we felt was best & modify the plan as needed. If I were alone at the south end I'd most likely work with the current and drift north while gently working my way toward shore planning on using places like Palancar Beach Club or one of the resorts as my exit point. However if I was alone on the north end and the current was running like it usually does I'd plan to swim for shore & if my gear restricted that it would be dumped. Now if I were right at the northern end & out from shore I'm smart enough to know I'm not strong enough to make it to shore by swimming so that would dictate having all the help I could get from my BCD to keep me high in the water to help at being spotted. I also do have a brightly coloured sausage to inflate.
As for buoyancy I can wear 9 pounds of lead & be neutral in salt water (no wetsuit). I know that because I used to snorkel in the Keys that way plus sometimes I'd wear a pony tank so that I could dive down to really examine the interesting things I'd see in deeper water.

Another example why THIS is such a good idea. Maybe in-water DMs guiding divers should be required to carry one.

nautilus_lifeline_technical_specs.jpg

Being the fellow diver at the same hotel as the OP before they went on the ill fated trip, was there when they walked in from the experience, talked to them continually during their stay, and was with them as they walked off the premises to the airport to end their vacation..... this thread is way of course from what are the issues........

The OP asked me to remain quiet until they left the island which I have, but have spoken to quite a few dive professionals on the island, vacationers with quite a bit of dive experience on the island and a few ex pats living here after the experience the other afternoon, plus have spoken to the OP and his companion at length about this whole ordeal.

This thread is totally way off base and turned into a congratulations to the dive operator for firing the inexperienced captain and for her to refund the money and write a few nice posts....

The issues are.....

Lack of communication to a diver and companion new to Cozumel of where and what time they are to meet. In the age of instant and continuous communication with smart phones, how hard is it to put a fork down in a restaurant and write a 1 or 2 sentence reply to an apprehensive new visitor that has booked with you, paid you money and entrusted their enjoyment with you?

Renting a BCD that leaks and won't hold air for extended periods of time given to a women on her very first open water dive. Now maybe if there were no issues, one could get away with this, but there were issues and we found out that both the DM and the divers companion had to help keep the woman afloat while they drifted on the surface and as they swam ashore.

The other issues are that there was absolutely no communication from the dive operator after this incident until the OP got home, went to work and posted this on scuba board. Now, who besides me thinks that if this wasn't posted for the world to see after the OP got home, there never would have been a response, apology and refund.... if the operator could not communicate with the OP for their few days remaining on the island, why is she now being praised because something was finally done after the OP left the island days after the incident and posted his experience on scuba board?

I'm really amazed by the responses given on this thread praising someone that tried to sweep all this under a rug. I know the OP was dumbfounded as he walked off the hotel property toward the airport with no apology or response from the operator, because I was right there talking about this with him as he turned and left.

You people need to put down the kool aid and realize the facts of this unfortunate incident.

Being the fellow diver at the same hotel as the OP before they went on the ill fated trip, was there when they walked in from the experience, talked to them continually during their stay, and was with them as they walked off the premises to the airport to end their vacation..... this thread is way of course from what are the issues........

The OP asked me to remain quiet until they left the island which I have, but have spoken to quite a few dive professionals on the island, vacationers with quite a bit of dive experience on the island and a few ex pats living here after the experience the other afternoon, plus have spoken to the OP and his companion at length about this whole ordeal.

This thread is totally way off base and turned into a congratulations to the dive operator for firing the inexperienced captain and for her to refund the money and write a few nice posts....

The issues are.....

Lack of communication to a diver and companion new to Cozumel of where and what time they are to meet. In the age of instant and continuous communication with smart phones, how hard is it to put a fork down in a restaurant and write a 1 or 2 sentence reply to an apprehensive new visitor that has booked with you, paid you money and entrusted their enjoyment with you?

Renting a BCD that leaks and won't hold air for extended periods of time given to a women on her very first open water dive. Now maybe if there were no issues, one could get away with this, but there were issues and we found out that both the DM and the divers companion had to help keep the woman afloat while they drifted on the surface and as they swam ashore.

The other issues are that there was absolutely no communication from the dive operator after this incident until the OP got home, went to work and posted this on scuba board. Now, who besides me thinks that if this wasn't posted for the world to see after the OP got home, there never would have been a response, apology and refund.... if the operator could not communicate with the OP for their few days remaining on the island, why is she now being praised because something was finally done after the OP left the island days after the incident and posted his experience on scuba board?

I'm really amazed by the responses given on this thread praising someone that tried to sweep all this under a rug. I know the OP was dumbfounded as he walked off the hotel property toward the airport with no apology or response from the operator, because I was right there talking about this with him as he turned and left.

You people need to put down the kool aid and realize the facts of this unfortunate incident.

Geez, after the OP and the operator made nice and apologized to the offended parties, the seagulls start to circle.

Whoa... Christi is offering free Kool Aid on her boats now? How whack is that? Forget me buying her a drink... she owes me some of that fine Kool Aid and there better be some rum in it! I'm a big fan of surface narcosis! :D

I am not sure why you are so bent that a number of Christi's fans have chimed in supporting her or that we find her resolution of the problem more than reasonable. You make a number of accusations that are based on what? Nothing more than conjecture about what you "think" Christi didn't do to try and rectify this. There are always more than one side to any story: yours, theirs and somewhere in the middle: the real truth. Mind you, if you feel this strongly, then please don't use Christi. But, if it's OK with you, there are a number of us who feel that her past track record combined with her complete lack of denial and multiple tiered solution to this issue merits our applause, our gratitude and even our business. That's how the ScubaBoard tribe works and I love it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom