Boat or Shore diving in Monterey?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Bill, My wife and I dive monterey wet. We have dry suits... but i personally prefer to dive wet for several reasons. I dive a full 7mm suit, my wife a 7mm full suit with a 5mm hooded vest. What made a big difference for us in staying warm was mysterioso. It is a undergarment for your wetsuit, it is thicker than a rashguard. Hot water between dives helps some, as does hot drinks or soup between dives. Keep diving here, it is great!!!!

I dive a full 7mm suit, my wife a 7mm full suit with a 5mm hooded vest. What made a big difference for us in staying warm was mysterioso. It is a undergarment for your wetsuit, it is thicker than a rashguard.

Hey Fred,

Which mysteriso item are you using? the shirt with integrated hood?

Do you think it helps in and of itself or simply by filling voids on a suit that may be otherwise slightly too big?

I have a dive skin and haven't noticed any difference in warmth.

BTW- I also have a drysuit but prefer diving wet

thanks

Hi Ken, I just have the shirt and pants. My wife also has the socks, but has started wearing 3mm neoprene socks instead. We have the aqualung wet suits and they fit very well so i believe the mysterioso does help keep you warmer than a rash guard. That is what we tried before the mysterioso. I had Cricket at otter bay wetsuits make me a hood and boots...that is warmer than what i was using previously.

I began diving Monterey bay in 74' ...I have now dove all over the world (except asia) and i still think Monterey is the best diving anywhere..but then i tend to be a adrenaline junkie....I dive dry during the winter and spring when temp can drop into the 40's...and when boat diving the temps can be colder than when diving from shore...

I just switched back to diving wet, which i prefer..I dive with neoprene socks under my booties and i wear the women's Xcell Therm Quad suit..it is plenty warm for 2 dives... in 52 degree and above...The men's version is the Polar Quad...

I snow ski and a day of diving on a boat is soooo much more fun and affordable..we are so lucky here in monterey to have such an affordable experiance available to us...however, like skiing , the elements may not always cooperate but that is the nature of our sport ...if you want a dependable experiance go to a pool!...

That said,,I am a California Girl who loves our coast and Kelp forests and the unbelievable experiances that are offered us here...I am a cold water diver..but not everyone is...you will figure it out for yourself...if after doing some boat diving and shore diving you really hate it then you may be a warm water resort diver and that is ok...

Back
Top Bottom