Recommendations for GoPro programs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

barefootek

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have recently decided that I want to commit to trying to become a dive professional. I have been looking at several of the PADI GoPro programs and was wondering if anyone had any opinions on any of the programs. The 2 programs that I have found most interesting so far have been the Utila Dive Centre off of Honduras and the Oceans Unlimited Dive Centre in Quepos, Costa Rica. I would like to be in a Spanish speaking country because I would like to develop an ability to speak and understand Spanish. I took Spanish in college and developed an ability to read and write a little and understand a professor that repeated herself until you understood her, but probably never could have held a real conversation.

The Utila Dive Centre interests me because they seem to have the best background in Marine Ecology. I have a BS degree in Marine Science. I also think that they may be better when it comes to the diversity of diving during my education and job placement than some. Oceans Unlimited interests me because I think that I would be more likely to develop ties to some of the local people and be more likely to develop a small grasp of Spanish. Georgia King with the dive center also sent me an email that went far beyond the form letters with a line or two to me as an individual that I have received from some places. Angel Navarro with Pro Dive Mexico also has done this and so it would not be hard for the right person to convince me that they were my best choice either.

I know that there are many great choices beyond these 3, and I have no doubt that I would cherish the experience with any of them, but I only want to pay for it once. I am currently going through SSI's Stress and Rescue certification, and will be done before I go on to a GOPro program. I will go at least through my Instructor certification and will probably go on through the MSDT program. I am mainly concerned with the PADI program but would be interested if anyone had any opinion on any of the other programs and particularly SSI.

Thanks for any advice or information that anyone might have.
Eric

Feel free to contact Peter Wilcox of barefootdivepro, located in Los cabos. He runs a first rate operation, has excellent credentials and marine ecology plays a huge part in his life and his staff. He is a PADI course director and specializes in training dive professionals. He's spent many years in Utila on the whaleshark research project and is a leader in shark conservation. He is a fountain of knowledge and deeply cares about the under water world. Best of luck.

Thanks. I will be sure to get in touch with Mr. Wilcox as soon as I get a chance to send him a more detailed message.

Thanks for checking in Bubble Junky. Pro Dive Mexico was actually the third dive shop that I mentioned. It is a safe bet that if it is a major center for Instructor training in the Caribbean, Mexico or Central America and they have a web site then I have probably at least taken a look. It would be great to hear from some people and their personal experiences good and bad during their training whether it was at one of these centers or not. I know some of what I am looking for, but I am not sure how much it fits in with what I Should be looking for. Is there anything about a certain shop that should be an attraction or raise a red flag? Is there anything that I might not be looking for in my search that I should be making a consideration? Bubble Junky is there a particular reason that you recommend Pro Dive Mexico? Are you familiar with some of the staff or had experience with some of the former students?

Thanks Todd. I don't know that I would say that it is not as exotic. My son and I dove in Key Largo in January and got to see a sea turtle, a morray, a few lobster, and a few sharks not to mention everything else in 2 days of diving. I took a picture of a large baracuda that made me nervous being so close. I would not get a chance to learn about another culture and potentially learn some Spanish, but certainly could learn the diving end of it. I actually already had it on a spreadsheet that I made up of potential schools and very well may go somewhere else, do a divemaster internship and finish my instructor training there. So thanks very much on the feedback.

Sounds like you know about the diving. For years I overlooked the Keys. Just got back from Belize and I can tell you that I gained an even greater appreciation for the quality of diving off Key Largo.

Enjoy your journey.

Bubble Junky is there a particular reason that you recommend Pro Dive Mexico? Are you familiar with some of the staff or had experience with some of the former students?

I used to work on the same island as their Course Director in the Philippines. His students always scored well at the IEs, and we both enjoyed 100% passrates at all the IEs we did together. Angel is also a nice guy, and as I mentioned, he is Spanish, so can help you learn the language, especially the 'SCUBA vocabulary', which is always easy to pick up in day-to-day life...

Thanks again for the clarification Bubble Junky. As I said in my initial post I had some nice feedback from Angel when I emailed them. When it comes to speaking Spanish, one of the things that impressed me about Angel was that he told me that I would need to immerse myself with Spanish speakers to really gain a grasp of the language and get away from my comfort zone of hanging around the large number of English speaking people around there. I think that he is right, but a lot of people will tell you just come here and the Spanish will be no problem.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom