Diver pulled from Massachusetts training pond

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
About the site: Hathaway's Pond, Massachusetts

From: Scuba diver pulled from Hathaway's Pond | CapeCodOnline.com
BARNSTABLE - A scuba diver in his mid-50s was taken by ambulance to Cape Cod Hospital this afternoon after suffering a medical emergency in a Barnstable pond.
Shortly before 2 p.m. emergency crews were called to Hathaway's Pond for a man who reportedly had had a heart attack, said Barnstable fire Chief Robert Crosby.

The man suffered some kind of medical emergency after surfacing from a dive in the pond.
On the scene, rescuers were seen performing CPR on the man before he was transported in serious condition to the hospital.
A witness on scene said he heard shouting as another diver helped the victim to shore.

Well it just goes to show you that at any time a medical emergency can strike with our without warning. Thank you for sharing.

Well it just goes to show you that at any time a medical emergency can strike with our without warning. Thank you for sharing.
Better in a town lake close to hospitals than on a liveaboard off somewhere. It didn't say how he came out, but CPR is not a good sign.

---------- Post added May 4th, 2012 at 11:51 AM ----------

Updated story with age change and more info: Diver dies after Barnstable pond emergency | CapeCodOnline.com
BARNSTABLE - A diver died Thursday after suffering from a medical condition during a scuba dive at Hathaway's Pond, said First Assistant District Attorney Michael Trudeau this morning.Edward Fjeld, 65, of West Groton, had surfaced from a scuba dive around 2 p.m. after complaining to his diving partner that he was having buoyancy problems.

Fjeld didn't seem to notice anything was wrong with him at first, but his companion noticed blood on his face. He soon began to cough up blood, according to Barnstable police.
Before his friend could get him to shore, Fjeld lost consciousness and by the time the Barnstable firefighters got to him on the shore, Fjeld was in cardiac arrest, said Fire Lt. Ed Guilford.
His body has been sent to the state medical examiner for an autopsy to determine the cause of death, Trudeau said.

Weight belt slipped off, perhaps? Happened to me in my cert class, in a quarry, in 10 mm of neoprene. I swam like crazy downward and to a mooring line on a platform about 8 ft away, and only just missed a 30 ft express ride to the surface.

Weight belt slipped off, perhaps? Happened to me in my cert class, in a quarry, in 10 mm of neoprene. I swam like crazy downward and to a mooring line on a platform about 8 ft away, and only just missed a 30 ft express ride to the surface.
But unless you had a deco obligation (unlikely), that isn't a problem unless you hold your breath...

But unless you had a deco obligation (unlikely), that isn't a problem unless you hold your breath...

Are you certain about that? If you are breathing compressed air and surface too quickly you can have issues even without a deco obligation. 30 feet in 30 seconds would not be your best option. I could be wrong though.

There's almost no imaginable way to bend yourself at a 60'/min ascent rate (30 feet in 30 seconds) in Hathaway's Pond. Lung overexpansion, on the other hand, is a real possibility even in rather shallow water.

Are you certain about that? If you are breathing compressed air and surface too quickly you can have issues even without a deco obligation. 30 feet in 30 seconds would not be your best option. I could be wrong though.

Pretty much. I see new drysuit divers lose control and float up from 20'-30' all the time with absolutely no ill effects.

flots.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom