Ear congestion and distorted hearing - possibly not barotrauma

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

spax

New
Reaction score
I read about in various threads about similar problems resulting from diving in the middle ear however none quite match my symptoms (unless I misunderstood?).

Since May 2011 nearly a year I have been getting a congested feeling in my ear that results in pulsating and hearing distortion of particular frequencies (some whistling, clanking, voice etc). This happens after coffee, alcohol, physical exertion, a lot of food and more often recently than before, nearly every day.

The ENT doc says its something incurable in the Eustachian Tube, says I should live with it.... Live with it?!!

May last year I was diving and equalised pressure badly resulting in a pop that i suspect tore my ear drum slightly (whistling in the ear in airplane de-pressurising), that healed but I got left with this sensation, which is not getting better

Anyone know better?

Many thanks

If you don't accept what your ENT said, seek out a second opinion from another ENT.

Yup, that might be a good idea. If you want to PM me with your location, I might be able to give you a local referral. Ear things like this are not usually something that you can diagnose accurately over the Internet, no substitute for a good examination and audiogram (hearing test).

Mike

May or may not be of any use, but I had the exact same symptoms and triggers, spoke with a diving doctor (not actually a dive doctor, mind) who took a look in my ears and said basically the same thing as you were advised. That was after a few months of suffering those weird "squelchy" sort of symptoms. That was about four months ago, and despite a fair bit of diving since I've had no problem and those symptoms seem to have gone away entirely.

That was about four months ago, and despite a fair bit of diving since I've had no problem and those symptoms seem to have gone away entirely.

yes I am seeking another opinion, hearing test came out fine unaffected,
Did it just go away - any massage maybe or a particular depressurizing technique?
thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom