Does Z2 breathe wet when inverted?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When you're upside down, the exhaust valve on a conventional regulator is higher than the mouthpiece, instead of vice-versa. It's very common for small amounts of water to leak in the exhaust valve every time it opens to let out some air. In normal dive position, since the valve is at the 'bottom' of the 2nd stage, that water just drains back out. When you're upside down, the water can accumulate in the reg and drain into the mouthpiece.

This can happen with any reg; atomic, SP, apeks, whatever. It's worse if the exhaust valve is not seating especially well on the case, due to a bit of crud on the case or maybe a drying-out valve. Sometimes replacing the valve and very thoroughly cleaning that area of the case helps.

Thank you halocline! I thought exactly as much! I am not an expert on equipment but I listen carefully when my instructors speak. I remember them saying that if you are upside down be ready to wet breathe or to 'drink' some water. Therefore I always try to avoid this position during my dives. In fact, the same was taught to me with octopuses. They also could be turned upside down if divers are new, inexperienced, or stressed, plus the position of octos (left or right) might as well add to this entire confusion of how to put it into your mouth as cords go twisted, cross the donors' necks or it misleads the owner if he / she needs to use it him/her self if connected on the left.

Thank you for your explanation one more time. Now I know how it works even technically and it is always great to brush up on your skills or to learn something new.

Back
Top Bottom