What to do during pregnancy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

katsea

Registered
Reaction score
Hi lady divers! What would you do about diving during your pregnancy?
Recently I suddenly found out that I was pregnant. I understand that I should stop diving for quite some time. Maybe for at least one and a half year? The idea of no diving for such a long time is very hard to imagine. Now I've accepted this fact peacefully :wink: But I don't want to just wait and do nothing about diving at all~
So, any idea or any suggestions of what related to diving that I could do during this special time? Thank you :)

I was told that it's better not to go swimming during pregnancy. Is it true? It's my first time of being pregnant. Don't know much about this yet:D

Never been pregnant myself, but my best friend loved going to the pool while expecting her child. Said it felt good to feel "weightless" again. Ask your doctor, but I don't see why you couldn't swim, as long as you don't do so in bacteria infected waste dumps. Snorkeled with a very pregnant woman last year in Mexico. My understanding is that pregnant women are not supposed to dive because noone really knows how it effects the foetus. You can go back to diving after delivery (unless your body needs healing, such as after a ceasarian), except you probably won't have much time in the first few months after baby is born.
Again, not a doctor, and there may be individual counterindications, so check with your physician.

On a side note, I've found my friends to be very cautious when expecting their first child (such as watching everything they ate, reading tons of books and worrying about doing everything right), and a lot more relaxed with baby number 2.

swimming is perfectly fine while pregnant and its good exercise. However as above, talk to your doctor if you have other medical conditions that could contraindicate it. but for healthy women swimming is fine.

(doula and wannabe midwife)

Swimming should be fine, if you are otherwise healthy.

You don't say where you are or where you dive, but what about acquiring some animal ID books, and studying up on the critters you see when you dive? That added a lot of fun to my diving. Another thing you could do is learn about maintenance and repair of your diving equipment -- maybe not big things, but how to service a BC inflator, or replace seals (if you are diving dry).

If there is local diving, what about volunteering to assist with classes? You wouldn't be able to get in the water, but I know we are always enormously grateful for surface support -- somebody to fetch forgotten gear, or help folks in and out of their equipment, and that sort of thing.

You may have local dive clubs that have monthly meetings with talks (at least we do) which are interesting to attend.

And of course, there is always ScubaBoard . . . :)

Like other have said, swimming should be fine, but don't stop there. Set yourself a good exercise routine starting right now early in the pregnancy. Aim for strength, good breathing and endurance. For the next 8 months you'll have more time that the following 2 maybe 3 years. Dedicate that time to set good eating habits and build up body, it will pay off in so many ways it is difficult to itemize them all. You are probably very young and until now all your endeavors have probably been fairly easy... well the job of your kid is to suck the life out of you, literally, physically and mentally. Prepare yourself starting now, if you are lucky you can set a routine that can somehow tweaked to include the little one.

The stronger you are from the beginning the better you will handle all that's coming your way. Ask around and you'll hear horror stories about the first couple of months, usually the result of both parents being exhausted. Doesn't have to be that way, the solution is to prepare for the situation.

When you manage to come back to diving, it will be an easy transition too. The continue swimming and generally staying in shape will make the hiatus go by quickly.

Thank you all for such wonderful advice! With so many things I can do and to learn something new, I wouldn't feel too bored during this period.

Ana, your words sound quite alarming :D To lose my own freedom is something I'm scared of. Anyway, my mom has experienced the same thing and she's fine and happy with her life now. I'll be fine too :wink:

Katsea, congratulations, first of all. Now. As said, unless you have some specific medical issue, swimming is, in fact, very good for you and will help your pregnancy comfort and recovery time after the birth. Snorkel and swim.

Parents are exhausted those first few months, if they don't take time to take care of themselves. Kids do suck the life right out of you, if you let them. (Yes, they are the greatest thing in teh world, I am now complete, I love them more than anything......). But there are days, too, when you'd happily trade them for a kitkat.

Enjoy swimming, help out around the shop and classes, take care of you, so you can take care of the brat. My 2 brats were water-babies and both were swimming before they could walk, because I kept them around water... They will love the water too, if you keep them in it. Mine both dive and are absolute rock stars.

Enjoy your pregnancy, and once those 6 weeks or so after the birth, have passed, there is no real reason you should not be cleared for diving. Get your physician's clearance and get back in. Have fun.

First, congratulations and our best wishes to you and your baby. Your life will be changing in many ways that you can’t imagine – for the better. One thing to remember is that if this is your first, the second may be coming along within 2 or 3 years.
One thing you can do is change your Life Insurance or go get some. If you have a policy with a diving rating and you expect to take up to 2+ years off from diving, you can ask to have your rating removed as you are not diving. It doesn’t matter that you plan to go back to diving in 2 years it is what you are doing now. Then, after taking the time off, and as long as you have kept the policy in effect, you can go back to diving after your 2 years and they cannot reinstate the rating.
If you don’t have any, it is time to think about getting some as you now have a 18-23 year liability to get your child through school.

Back
Top Bottom