Weighting change from AL80 to HP100

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Depends on your tanks, both AL and Steel. Most of the rental Al80's I happen to run into are Catalina at 1.6-1.8 negative full. I own Worthington (XSScuba) X7-100 Steels, which are 10 negative full (*ASSUMING* you get a full 3442psi fill!. You will often get a 3000psi fill on your own HP100's, either a hot fill, or they may not have the mobile compressor on the liveaboard to do 3442). That brings the difference down to approx. 7.2lbs.

I recently dropped 7lbs, using my steels on trip with PCB Dive Charters (who gave me solid 3500psi fills on all the dives... thanks Kyle!), and the weighting felt pretty good -- probably could have dropped another lb. without issue.

You need to do the math on EMPTY cylinders, *not* full.

Depends on your tanks, both AL and Steel. Most of the rental Al80's I happen to run into are Catalina at 1.6-1.8 negative full. I own Worthington (XSScuba) X7-100 Steels, which are 10 negative full (*ASSUMING* you get a full 3442psi fill!. You will often get a 3000psi fill on your own HP100's, either a hot fill, or they may not have the mobile compressor on the liveaboard to do 3442). That brings the difference down to approx. 7.2lbs.

I recently dropped 7lbs, using my steels on trip with PCB Dive Charters (who gave me solid 3500psi fills on all the dives... thanks Kyle!), and the weighting felt pretty good -- probably could have dropped another lb. without issue.

You need to do the math on EMPTY cylinders, *not* full.
Good point... and, of course you're right. Love going off on a thought using the wrong parameters, considering how many times I've done the 500psi weighting with different tanks/gear.

Difference (for me, and using the same tanks), still came out to ~7lbs. (4.2+ vs. 2.5-).

I am able to drop 6# when using my 100HP compared to the 80al. However, I seem to need to check my weight often compared to my husband. I think (maybe wrong here), but my body changes, bloating from PMS, I also exercise a bit and I have noticed that more than ever before, I sink like a rock in deep water aerobics class even with a flotation belt on and ankle resistance, which also floats. I spend more time below the surface than my peers in the class. I think as my body changes it affects my weighting while scuba diving-losing weight, building muscle, bloating all have an impact on the needed weight.

Edit: What we have done is put together a sheet with the different tanks and their characteristics, using our tanks and when needed to switch out to rental tanks, we ask what they are and do a comparison. With this sheet we can and do quick math that gives us a ball park for weighting. This sheet is lamented and taken with us for reference.

I What we have done is put together a sheet with the different tanks and their characteristics...With this sheet we can and do quick math that gives us a ball park for weighting. This sheet is lamented and taken with us for reference.

I did essentially the same thing: printed out copies of the Huron Scuba tank data for both steel and aluminum and then "laminated" them with clear packing tape and put them in my dive log book. Very handy!

never mind...

Just remember that if you have a reg or tank failure you will not be in sync with your buddy and there may be insufficient gas in his 80 to rescue the two of you. Your turn pressure needs to be based on the smaller tank but your higher rmv.

Sent from my SPH-P100 using Tapatalk

Just remember that if you have a reg or tank failure you will not be in sync with your buddy and there may be insufficient gas in his 80 to rescue the two of you. Your turn pressure needs to be based on the smaller tank but your higher rmv.

I don't see where the OP specifies her buddy's tank size though (just for the sake of the discussion).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom