Now I know why the Pennekamp dive shop is cheaper than anyone else...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Key Largo Garden Cove Dive Shop Great shop great people no BS. I also dove with Capt. Slate because did not have buddy to do deeper dives. Mselanaous set up everything give her a call at the shop she take good care of you.:cool2:

Yea I have only been given tanks once and it was said that would get them. It was a fossil dive. Most charters rent al80 anyway. I would rather pay the few extra bucks for my pst lp120s mixed to my liking.
Other than those 25ft fossil dives, I don't know of anyone who provides tanks.

Meh, I did what reefhound did and shopped around online pretty extensively before deciding to use the Pennekamp outfitter. Pennekamp charges $60 for a 2-tank trip, pretty much everyone else in Key Largo charges $80-85 for the same thing. Or at least what *appears* to be same thing. I looked at most of those same websites, did not see the Blue Water Diver or Conch Republic sites unfortunately. If I had, I might have figured out why Pennekamp is $60. The other websites tell you what you get or don't get for your rate.

Okay, I messed about the Pennekamp website and pinned down their rates better. They DO they list "tanks and weights only-$17" beneath the gear rental and trip rate. "SCUBA trip" is listed as $60. "SCUBA trip" does not unfortunately provide any details as to what is/is not provided. I consider this either deliberately misleading, or lazy.

I will consider myself schooled. All *that* said, it would be VERY NICE if the Pennekamp operator used the same rates description format that everyone else I've ever dived with in the U.S. or Caribbean does (and apparently the other Key Largo operators as well). When you list your dive trip rate, you either do it like this:

Dive Trip (includes tanks & weights)

or this

Dive Trip (bring your own tanks)

Okay, I messed about the Pennekamp website and pinned down their rates better. They DO they list "tanks and weights only-$17" beneath the gear rental and trip rate. "SCUBA trip" is listed as $60.

The best deal is the 5 2-tank trip card including tanks and weights @ $66.00 per trip from Silent World Dive Center.

We camped at the park so there was no extra charge. They were really nice when I dove with them. I too did not like the boots being pulled off, but they also forgot to charge me for my fill. I also dove with Rainbow Reef, but they kept on changing the destination. I am new to diving and if you find a dive boat that you really like in Key Largo, please let me know. Thanks

In my best Jack Benny; "Well".

I've been diving in SoFla since 1973. The price of the trip is for the boat ride. I don't know any op (up here anyway) who includes tanks in their trip prices. (unless so stated).

No matter, I've dived my own tanks my entire time in the activity. But, I living in SE Florida. most of us have our own gear. (in fact, most of us have more gear than we need, tanks included. LOL) For me, my tanks are Tim specific. I use steel HP 100's with DIN valves.

Sorry to go off topic a bit, but what's with the removal of tank boots that a couple people mentioned? They don't let you use your own tanks with boots on them?

Tank boots trap water which can cause corrosion. AL tanks have flat bottoms. Boots not needed. Steel tanks have oval bottoms. If you are diving single, the boot is pretty much SOP to keep the rig upright. I suspect ops prefer you to use your tanks WITH boots so as to not damage the gel coat of the boat.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom