Need advice on Dive destinations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rbahr

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi All,

My wife and I are planning our next dive vacation and would like to go to the Caribbean area.

We cannot do a live-aboard as my wife gets pretty bad sea/motion sickness.

We have dove many of the big name places in the Caribbean (some many times) and we are looking for something different. We like both big and small (we both like muck diving as well as seeing the big fish). We don't need or want a particularly lavish destination, and remote is a plus, and we don't care if there is nothing else to do... We consider ourselves as somewhat experienced divers and we are fit so currents, depths, dive durations etc are not a problem although we prefer to dive Nitrox

Any positive experiences with Cayos Cochinos, San Andres, or ST. Vincent? These were recently mentioned in a popular mainstream magazine as being 'undiscovered' which is what we are really looking for...

Thanks

Ray

What about Saba.

Meets all your requirements.

There can be strong current on the pinnacles.

We have dove many of the big name places in the Caribbean (some many times) and we are looking for something different. We like both big and small (we both like muck diving as well as seeing the big fish). We don't need or want a particularly lavish destination, and remote is a plus, and we don't care if there is nothing else to do... We consider ourselves as somewhat experienced divers and we are fit so currents, depths, dive durations etc are not a problem although we prefer to dive Nitrox

I dove Saba in June. I described it as "different" to everyone who asked. The pinnacles are awesome. As DD says, the current can be challenging but it is well worth the effort. It's laid back diving at SeaSaba. Both big stuff and the tiniest stuff. No one is in a hurry. They offer a smokin' deal on Nitrox too.

Nothing else to do? If that's the way you want it. Otherwise be advised, the island, total population 2000, is home to 400 medical school students. College and partying go hand in hand. Students stick to 'The Bottom' during the week but come up to 'Windwardside' on Friday night. Windwardside is where you will find SeaSaba and a lot of the lodging.

They are big on hiking there too if that appeals to you.

Not a discount location but if you can swing Cayos Cochinos, San Andres, or ST. Vincent, you can handle this.

A lot of 1st class food there too.

We were there in the springtime - It was/is a great place. We have been to most of the mainstream destinations - looking for a new/different place...

The currents near the pinnacles were manageable, actually made it around - love that site...

Thanks

Ray

Hi All,

My wife and I are planning our next dive vacation and would like to go to the Caribbean area.

We cannot do a live-aboard as my wife gets pretty bad sea/motion sickness.

Any positive experiences with Cayos Cochinos, San Andres, or ST. Vincent? These were recently mentioned in a popular mainstream magazine as being 'undiscovered' which is what we are really looking for...

Thanks

Ray

I just spent three weeks on Cayos Cochinos and the diving there was not great. The visibility was quite poor and according to the other guests who had previously dived in Utila and Roatan, it was pretty bad. It was quite windy and the storms on the mainland evidently contributed to the runoff, which made the visibility below anyone's expectations.

Hi All,

We have decided to go to Little Caymen. We have not been there in 6+ years, so it should be fun to revisit...

Thanks for your suggestions

Ray

Hi All,

We have decided to go to Little Caymen. We have not been there in 6+ years, so it should be fun to revisit...

Thanks for your suggestions

Ray

Have a great trip!! :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom