Where to Get Equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I say just buy from your LDS alot will price match if they know you will be a regular or they will drop to a price slightly worse than online. I can take in any scubatoys, leisurepro, diverssupply add and 9/10 times my LDS will match, plus I know they service the product and I know it contributes to them sticking around longer.

I also forgot you also get to check the merch to know its a yoke instead of din reg, that your wetsuit is the right color and not red (i dont know why but i hate red on wetsuits) and you dont have to wait for it.

I don't disagree with using an LDS IF you have a decent one. But if you don't live in a big diving area, you are often limited to one LDS and they may only carry one manufacturer. So unless you want their manufacturer you can't shop there.

I just recently bought some lawn equipment and went with the mom and pop store over the Big box stores. Both were dead even on price. The mom and pop threw in supplies and I know if I have an issue it will get resolved as they service what they sell. If I bought at HD I could get the same brand model and if I needed repairs I would go to mom and pop as they are the authorized repair center. Who do you think goes to the head of the line for service. LDSs will do the same and rightly so.

Maby we should change the thread to a how to find a good LDS. I do order from scubatoys and LP, mostky when I cant get local (wetsuit I knew what size and ordered since my good LDS was sold out, SMB the LDS was sold out of the style I like) It seems like my LDS in West palm, the lower keys, and pittsburgh are all pretty decent to me. Your crappy shops die out quickly if they dont offer good business

I have to say that I have a great local dive shop....they are knowledgable, willing to answer questions, and happy to service my gear weather I purchased it from them or not. That being said their prices cannot touch the online and if I have one complaint it would be how they make me feel about buying online versus from their store. Of course they have to make money to stay in business and when I can give them my money I do, but who can justify paying 30%-40% more when you can get the same gear with a manufactuer's warranty from a reputable online dealer? I do not know about everyone else, but SCUBA is expensive and I cannot afford those types of prices. I would consider asking them about price matching, but the perception I get from them about online purchasing is so bad that I am afraid to ask.

I have purchased most all of my gear from Leisure Pro and I have recieved absolutely wonderful service. Shipping is fast, prices are great, and the customer service is better than I have ever experienced. I am all about supporting the local dive shop and give them every penny that it makes sense to give them, but I am about supporting my family first. I love to dive so LP helps make that possible through there great service and pricing. Check them out you will be doing yourself a disservice if you don't.

Both me and my dad bought almost all of our gear from Leisure Pro, a website that has great selection and service, and ships around the world. Just one thing to note: They are not authorized Aqualung, ScubaPro, and Suunto dealers

I would go with Leisure Pro if you are only going to buy new and on line. They are the cheapest I have found so far but you must also take into consideration the shipping. You may save $50 on something but it could cost $40 to ship it to you. Most LDS should be able to cover that spread. I would also not dismiss buying used gear, there are too many divers that leave the sport after only a few dives.

I have heard that Leisure Pro can sell items (such as reg's) that have been 'pieced' together and where parts are no longer available. Anyone have that experience? Anyone been to their actual store rather than online to get a 'feel' for their shop?

I have heard that Leisure Pro can sell items (such as reg's) that have been 'pieced' together and where parts are no longer available. Anyone have that experience? Anyone been to their actual store rather than online to get a 'feel' for their shop?

I have been there to pickup a few items as I work in Manhattan so it saves me the shipping cost. This is not a LDS it is just a showroom. They do not service anything, you can't get a tank filled there, they do not sell parts and as far as I know there is no service tec there. I know they move a lot of equipment and do not think they are piecing together junk just to get it out the door, but that is just what I think based on no real facts.

I have heard that Leisure Pro can sell items (such as reg's) that have been 'pieced' together and where parts are no longer available.

I imagine that is pretty unlikely. I just can't see how it fits with their "pile 'em high and sell 'em cheap" business model. I have bought second hand gear from LP in the past, but it has always been in immaculate condition.

Sherwood Avid a good BCD for a beginner? Opinions? Experiences? Suggestions? (a overall good reg for cold Michigan water & Caribbean??) thanks everyone!

I have been there to pickup a few items as I work in Manhattan so it saves me the shipping cost. This is not a LDS it is just a showroom. They do not service anything, you can't get a tank filled there, they do not sell parts and as far as I know there is no service tec there. I know they move a lot of equipment and do not think they are piecing together junk just to get it out the door, but that is just what I think based on no real facts.

It's been a while since I was there but I thought I remembered a service area in the back corner. Staffed by rather "Orthodox" techs as I recall. Which kind of amused me for some reason.

Maybe Mr. Bostic can fill us in.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom