Yet ANOTHER pony tank question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MC

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
any benefit or downside to steel pony tanks vs. aluminum? I can get either for the same price. Just to not see many steel ponys out there 13 or 19cf.

Does anyone understand that 13cf is pharmaceutical code for suppository

unless a little bottle gets you through it and saves you or your buddys life

which it sure as heck can and will

If, you understand, its extrication

I like the Al13 or 19 there a tad bit lighter but having said that. Any pony is way better then none.

Is there a brand that has negative buoyancy characteristics? I don't like the idea of using Al80, being out of air enoughto need to resort to a pony and that becoming positive as well! (of course I don't like the idea of being low/out of air at all)

Is there a brand that has negative buoyancy characteristics? I don't like the idea of using Al80, being out of air enoughto need to resort to a pony and that becoming positive as well! (of course I don't like the idea of being low/out of air at all)

Typically when you are talking about a "pony bottle" you are talking about an emergency supply of gas that isn't used in your gas calculations. So, typically a "pony" will be a smaller tank, 13, 19, 30, 40. Most of them only vary a couple pounds positive and negative full to empty.

If you are carrying an AL-80, it is most like a "stage bottle" or a "deco bottle" and you are planning to use the gas in the cylinder at some point in the dive.

Remember to consider the buoyancy of a pony plus the extra regulators.

as far as being + or - at the end of the dive.......if you lead-up right, then by the time you add your pony's 1st & 2sd and the hose you should be right in the park. This is if you are useing a 13ft (1.7lbs + with no air in it) now if you go with a bigger pony then you will have to add lead for it.

...now if you go with a bigger pony then you will have to add lead for it.

I am not sure that I follow you - a larger pony requires more lead? Because of air consumption? If a pony is contingency air only to be used in emergency then you will (hopefully) not need it and there will be no swing in buoyancy from the pony.

Reactions: Jax
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom