River Dive Trip Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AeroMike

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Well, Phill and I went out in the Edisto River this past Sunday to hit a spot we all found last trip. The good news was the water level was down. The bad news was the water level was waaaaaaay down and we had to get out of the boat 5 times to pull the boat over sand.

We finally got to the spot and wouldn't you know it, I left my dive lights back in the truck but lucky for me the water was only 6 feet deep and i didn't need a light. The depth last time was 14 feet so you can see how much difference we had in depth.

This was Phill's day with two big 4" Angy's, ivory tusk, horse teeth and of course tons or sharks teeth. I didn't do too bad, I found over 200 teeth, with my largest just under 4" and I was happy to find a gator tooth. I even found someone's weight belt, lol

Speaking of gators, we didn't see a single one the whole trip but we did see two water snakes. We dove two tanks and even jumped on the hooka lines.

We are going again hopefully this Saturday to the same spot.

I promise to get more pics but here are a couple and maybe Phill can add to this also.

Oh, almost for got, I used my new river spike and it worked like a champ!
riverspike.jpg

Here is Phill diving. Lee, this is the same spot we were at on the second dive were the current was too strong. Phill is on the bottom in this pic so you definitely can see the depth difference.
photo4.jpg

From Phill's finds, a gator plate and a piece of ivory, maybe someone can help to ID that, I honestly didn't even know it was ivory.
photo3.jpg

two big Angy's
photo2.jpg

My haul for the day, 3rd row, far right is a horse tooth and the tooth to the left is just under 4" for size comparison.
photo5.jpg

Nice finds Mike. I'll be going tomorrow to an old spot and then look for a new spot with the mother load (I hope). Anyway, have fun and post more pics when you get back. These shallow rivers intrigue me, I'd love to go sometime.

Nice job dude.:D

Nice HAUL! I see some teeth in the "haul for the day" photo I really like. Especially in the bottom half of the photo. I am seeing some broken teeth but not seeing severe wear on the points or roots(good indicator of what is to come). In fact I see quite a lot of "points". I like the fact that I see a lot of "whole" teeth. (having three corners). The sizes are not bad at all, in fact the sizes are good. The size of the teeth is saying to me, there are a few monsters hanging around. LOVE the Angy on the left in the "two big Angy's" photo. I LIKE the volume. That says a LOT. Something that is jumping out at me is the "staining". I am thinking fossilized teeth need to be "unearthed" for quite a long period of time to absorb the amount of staining I see. (I am guessing decaying leaves and wood). I keep looking back at that Angy on the left. Really like that one! Thanks for the posting. Looks like you had a productive day (and fun) and that is a GOOD thing!

I was looking at the lower Edisto and the public ramps Willtown Bluff and Penny Creek. It appears they are recommended for canoes only. When I mentioned Willtown to Phill he said he had been there and did not think it was a worthy landing. There has GOT to be a way into the ACE basin (without a long ass boat ride) and I will find it sooner or later. I suppose you know my theory by now, as we dive further and further down river, the quality, quantity, and size of teeth, will increase.

Interesting reference:

Steamboat Landing - Google Map

original.jpg

Last edited:
Lets go. WE can drag a canoe full of fuel if there are teef. Me and My dive fossil buddy are coming to dive soon.... so you need someone who wont be in your spot next time blowing it out, we are from out of state and will wear blinders ... Id like to find 3-4 nice Ric teeth before I freaking die from dry runs. Ive found one killer 3 incher, everything else is junk for frames. Email me if you ever need a dive buddy for a couple days in black waters, im experienced and have many hours, hundreds in rivers diving for goodies.

Steve
Milton Florida

Back
Top Bottom