Moving over here soon. Already have a job lined up at a dive shop, however...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I was wondering what I should expect to make working full time and whether I will need to have a second job to afford my own place and to dive for fun. I'll be staying with a family friend until I get rooted, but I want to be as little of a burden on him as possible. I'm really eager to prove that i can survive on my own and not have to go back to my parents. (For reference, I'm 19.)

I've heard that before moving to Hawaii, you should get your job offer in WRITING. There are many horror stories of folks moving and finding out they don't have the job. Agreed that you should ask your future employer what the wages are and how many hours you're going to work. It's not uncommon in Hawaii to only get part-time wages since employers can then avoid providing health insurance that's required for full-time employees.

Looks like you have a little homework to do.

If you just got back from vacation here where you went through interviews, filled out new hire paperwork and were given a start date, you might have a job waiting for you, otherwise I'd be very leery of planning on having an immediate job lined up. I've seen too many people move over here based on internet or phone interviews only to find that the job wasn't really there or was as expected. Be careful. If you're sharp and personable and willing to work hard, you'll likely find something to squeak by with 'til you get yourself situated.

yeah, extremely fishy. Judging by the number of dives on your scuba board profile, I'm assuming you're not a divemaster/instructor. So you may want to clarify your salary with that shop. They will probably take some of that salary in order to train you as a divemaster/instructor and your "take home pay" will not be what you expect it to be...and Oahu is not a cheap place to live. Good luck

Aloha Junior
Did you find out what you were going to be paid, and your job duties?
Best of Luck
Aloha

So if being an odd bod for a dive op doesn't suit, you can always
row a boat back to the mainland, or over here, as simple as that
if you're sharp personable and willing to work at posting again in
your thread, but given the half arsed sterile chair sitters answers
for a seemingly disillusioned, young bloke, I wouldn't reply either

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom