Good Training Dive site on TenKiller

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AggieDad

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I need to come to Oklahoma later this summer and train a couple of family members. I have never dived Lake Tenkiller and am curious if there is a "commercial" scuba park there or can someone recommend a place that most training takes place?

Looking at the water conditions up there with all the rain you guys have had, I may have to bring them down to Texas, but then we don't have any water. :shakehead:

Thanks

Dan

I can't help with the vis, because it can change a lot from one day to the next.

As for the dive site, there are some great ones. The easiest one for entries is the "scuba park" that is located in the state park (there arent any entrance fees). To get there, follow the highway north across the dam. Just after the dam, look for the park entrance on your left (west side). Follow that road straight back past the ranger shack. You will see a big "do not enter" sign ahead, the road you take is just to the right of that. It winds down to the water and there is a boat ramp on the right, and the scuba park is on the left (old boat ramp). The park is cordoned off, and there isnt even supposed to be swimming in there, just scuba.

The park has a gradual slope down to about 50ft with boats, bus, plane and helicopter down there to find.

There is "crappie point" around the corner towards that dam, but the parking can be hard (its a camping area). Its also a little bit of a climb down to the water but there are training platforms there.

Dont forget your flag bouy, because its a requirement and the rangers will issue tickets.

There is a SCUBA Park with several items of submerged equipment. Visibility is often poor. I would check and see if the Park is still accessible due to record rainfall.

Attachments

• tenkillerstpark.jpg
    tenkillerstpark.jpg
    426.8 KB · Views: 170
Thanks guys. That is exactly what I needed.

I wish they would send some rain down this way. Lake Travis at Windy Point....dive platforms are already about 5 feet deep. Two years ago we had to stop all training out there. Saw parts of the lake that usually are never seen though.

Ill give you some alternative locations just to be on the up and up. If you cant make it to Tenkiller for what ever reason (Visibility has been reportedly very bad but as fire diver said can change quickly) then try beaver lake. It seems to be the most prefered place for most of the divers in north east oklahoma as the visibility can go from the worst to the best in very little time and vice versa. Often times I have seen it go all the way to well over 30 foot visibility there as well plus if you hit the right locations your very close to towns that are tourist destinations such as Eureka Springs.

If you really want an easy location to dive with facilities on site and no boat traffic try captain john blues water park in Joplin (It is still open and spared the wrath of the tornadoes) its a cold water dive though with temps hovering in the 50s at depths as little as 20 feet deep. there are things to see there like an airplane and some cars and a few other neat things they have put in there too. For information there look at their website Captain Johns | Oronogo, MO and dont worry about the information being outdated they are still open.

4 hours from here are 2 wonderful locations one in Athens Texas where they have a scuba park (Athens Scuba Park - Texas Scuba Diving Facility) and clear springs scuba. They do have a web site too though I cant recall it right off but you can google it. Both of these are dedicated scuba parks with no boat traffic. For training though Id recommend Athens in the summer as temps are generally so warm there no wet suits are needed and the depth is only about 20 - 30 feet allowing excellent open water conditions and often times excellent visibility. I have not dove clear springs scuba so i can not attest to it but thus far all reviews have been positive for their location

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom