Stomach Problems in the Red Sea - how to avoid!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Never eat anything with your fingers even if you just washed your hands. The cats walk over everything and there are lots of them. You should be fine on the liveaboards but onshore defiantly knife and fork or if the food is wrapped in tin foil for you to hold.

FYI, ciprofloxacin and norfloxacin both belong to the class of antibiotics called fluoroquinolones. As such, they most likely have the same mechanism of action: inhibition of DNA gyrase and topoisomerase IV which bacterial cells require for cell division. Cross-reactivity with mammalian topoisomerases might explain some of the "side effects" of these meds.

Fluoroquinolones are known to inhibit the liver enzyme complex cytochrome P450, so beware of any other drugs/supplements that are metabolized in this way. Something to keep in mind is that P450 enzymes are involved in alcohol metabolism.

You probably should refrain from taking any NSAIDs (aspirin, ibuprofen, naproxen, etc.) while taking any fluoroquinolones due to the possibility of neurological side effects. I only mention this because so many of us take NSAIDs for various aches and pains without thinking twice about it.

Regarding the conversation between Crowley and TSandM, although loperamide (Imodium) and other antimotility agents like it have been shown to successfully decrease the duration of travelers' diarrhea, such medications really shouldn't be used when the patient has fever or bloody diarrhea -- the concern being that this might increase severity of the disease by slowing clearance of the gut pathogen. At least that's what I've been taught. I encourage people to refer to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention website for very helpful information regarding travelers' diarrhea.

Hope this info helps...

Taker MREs, drink a beer at every meal, don't kiss any toilet seats, keep motion sickness pills handy and use early if waves are up. Dive well!

You should also talk to your doctor about Dukoral - an oral vaccine that purportedly prevents Montezuma's revenge caused by enterotoxigenic E. coli and cholera.

I haven't used it myself (we procrastinated before our trip to DR and, as usual my son ended up taking Ciprofloxacin for 5 days...........)

+1 to pretty much all of the above.

You should also talk to your doctor about Dukoral - an oral vaccine that purportedly prevents Montezuma's revenge caused by enterotoxigenic E. coli and cholera.

Going from rather fuzzy memory, IIRC the fine print says Dukoral is only about 30% effective against e-toxic E. coli. OTOH one may decide that one third less problems is still worth it, especially given the severity of the problems when they occur.

there are some basic things.
1. don't drink anything with ice
2. drink only bottled water - use it also for washing your teeth
3. Don't eat fresh vegies
4. Don't eat fresh friuts unpealed
5. wash your hands regularly
6. A shot of vodka with pepper is way better than whisky. One. In the evening - if you are planning to dive.

And buy antinal in the local pharmacy (costs peanuts) and have it. Just in case.

+ 1 !

never eat anything with your fingers even if you just washed your hands. The cats walk over everything and there are lots of them. You should be fine on the liveaboards but onshore defiantly knife and fork or if the food is wrapped in tin foil for you to hold.

what?????????????????????????????

Does anyone have any advice about how to avoid being ill in the Red Sea re stomach problems? We went to the Red Sea for the first time 2 years ago and I was very ill for most of the week and yet we have travelled all over the world before and never been ill. If anyone has any advice it would be very gratefully recieved. Thank you.

Wash your hands before eating/drinking and dont drink the tap water. Some people recommend washing hands after handling money (i certainly wouldn't put it in my mouth).

Having said that ive never been ill in Egypt from any bug (in 2 years) and the percentage of people i see with it is tiny - i saw just the saw amount in greece and spain so i think the hazard is massively overstated.

Most people get sick and ill from good old fashioned dehydration or sunstroke. They then try to blame it on food.

Ice is completely fine - its made from bottled water
Veg and fruit (prepared as part of a meal) is fine - again bottled water

Most hotels have their own desalination plants so other than a bit salty its fine.
Ive cleaned my teeth and washed with tap water daily for my entire time there without any ill effect.

Antinal - an antibacterial is preferred, coupled with a lot of fluids and - sorry to say - let it all hang out.

Thats the one thing doctors give out like sweets but ive witnessed first hand from people and heard of countless more it isnt a great idea. Yes it'll fix you up temporarily. However in 2-3 weeks you can expect to get a lot sicker. It wipes out your gut fauna and without a carefully controlled diet to regrow it you get all kinds of stuff inhabiting instead. So you're good for a few days and far worse a few weeks down the line.

I do know of 2 people that picked up an amoeba that worked out was picked up eating at sharm airport on the way home though.

String, we had nine people on our trip, and seven of them got sick (at completely different points of the trip), two ill enough that we considered airlifting them off the boat.

BubbleTrubble, you are right; bloody diarrhea is a contraindication to antimotility agents. The typical turista is not bloody dysentery, and I should have amended my advice to except that condition.

Id seriously consider changing liveaboard operators if that's the case. And reporting them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom