Which countries steal most of diving tourism?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Where I go and how often is directly related to how much I have to spend. I'd love to dive all over the world, but am lucky to get the Caribbean. Good luck on the paper.

I don't know of any sources of information for you other than designing your own questionnaire. I can speak for myself however. I have been to several Caribbean islands and Central America but my favorite is Little Cayman Island. Wonderful, awesome diving and I enjoy the low density population of the place. Have been there five or six times and will go back.

International? I'd be surprised if you'd find much else than Mexico + Carribean area. This is mostly a US board.

But since I'm here I would like to add Egypt and Thailand. These are the most popular diving destinations for most Europeans, outside of Europe that is.

As someone who used to teach research methodology, I can't see how you can possibly get anything of value from asking a question like that in a forum like this. In fact, if you were my student I would be all over you for trying to draw any kind of valid conclusion from what people say here.

What you need to do instead is look at the major dive destinations around the world and see if you can drum up any kind of official statistics related to dive tourism. Even then, it would be very hard to draw any real conclusions.

One of the most important things I taught my students was to maintain a completely objective viewpoint as far as possible into the research process. A "working thesis" should be more of a research question. A true thesis should only be formed after a through review of research, or else your process will be tainted by bias. The fact that you have used the word "steal" when you are beginning your research is very problematic.

As someone who used to teach research methodology, I can't see how you can possibly get anything of value from asking a question like that in a forum like this. In fact, if you were my student I would be all over you for trying to draw any kind of valid conclusion from what people say here.

As someone who presently hires and fires people who teach research methodology, I totally agree with you that it is impossible to get anything conclusive from such a post on such a forum. The purpose of this post was not to conduct a poll that would be flaunted for pin point accuracy but more to see if I could obtain any study that already exists on such a subject.

While scubaboard, (just like any other internet forum) will be far from accurate in gathering quantitative data of scuba-travel trends, it has helped me in the past by getting me connected to people who have done similar research/data gathering.

Hence the post.:coffee:

Perhaps some island nations might have info. on how much of their enonomy, or what percentage, relates to the diving industry. It would be interesting to know the percentages, not just the absolute amounts. Bonaire, Cozumel and Grand Caymen would be good places to start.

Purely international. When you leave your country for diving which country are you leaving and where are you headed.

Here is the agenda:

Just like shark researchers "tag" sharks and track them from a satellite, if all dive tourists were "tagged" and observed from a satellite would there by any systematic pattern to this international dive tourism?

At this point I am more interested in who you are and where you go than how much you spend once you get there or how many people work as instructors because you go there. That would be useful too but I have not gotten to that part yet.

So, a better way to word.... your looking to identify what countries import diver tourists, and the amount of tourism $$$ associated....

Yes Netmage. Let us say that in the year 2010, 5000 people left their home countries to dive,

1. Which country received most of those 5000?
2. Assuming that the biggest importer of those tourists was was Maldives, what was the national breakdown of tourists who went there? How many were Americans, how many were Europeans etc.

Those are the only two things that concern me at the moment. Their actual spending $$$ is not anything that concerns me right now though it would be interesting to know.

Last edited:
I'm quite willing to believe that PADI has all that data. Now, whether they'd be willing to share them with you, is a totally different question.

Back
Top Bottom