New Diver with questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jimalim

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello my name is Jim. I am new to diving. I just go my open water certification a month ago. I live in Wisconsin, and am having trouble deciding on what to buy first for equipment. I am thinking i should get a reg, because my gf has a tank i can use. i just want to get in the water weather it be a lake, river, or even just a pool. If anyone has advise would really appreciate it. I cant wait to get in the water more often.

HI Jim - Welcome! I am new to diving also. I got a BC first so I could use it and be familiar with it while getting certified. Plus it was on sale. I got the SeaQuest Libra (same as the Balance) and it turned my instructor had the same BC. I have only done 4 dives since my OW cert, but am glad I had experience with the BC prior to that. I think a reg is good way to go. The last reg I got from the shop for my last two OW cert dives had a hole in the mouth piece were it attached to the regulator. It turned out not to be an issue, but it could have been. I determined even on a limited budget I would invest in more of my own equipment.

I got a used reg from a friend. I trusted her, but still got it checked out! Trust but verify. I had to buy an octo because she the integrated inflater on her BC. I have seen other posts on buying regs on the board so look around. The set included a a pressure gauge and compass. I got a used basic computer which give the depth, time, and interval time. The computer doesn't calculate pressure groups so I still need the tables for multiple dives There are also posts on which computers to get.

I am not sure were you dive but I invested in a 7mm full suit for diving in So CAL! While it is warm and sunny above the water temp can be a chilly 58 - 66 at the surface. I am so glad I did because there is nothing like being cold in the water to ruin the fun! I know from my old surfing days in Rhode Island!

I figure like any other sport, hobby I've gone into it takes time to figure what works individually. And talking with other divers is a must! They can give insight on what works for them and what doesn't. Have fun!

Jim,
Great job on the cert!
take your time on equipment see your local LDS too,
it all is up to the type of diving you plan on Reg's can be expensive,there are many great starter units that are bullet proof and time tested at a great price and servicing/parts are easily had!exposure protection based on water temps,and a basic BCD with ditchable weight pockets is a great start,every one has a favorite brand.
As years pass you change rigs and your better having equipment that can be turned over or sold to recoup some of your money,
and beware of ebay it can have lots of junk that circulates over and over but never to the dumpster were some of it belongs!
dive safe,
Brad

Hello my name is Jim. I am new to diving. I just go my open water certification a month ago. I live in Wisconsin, and am having trouble deciding on what to buy first for equipment. I am thinking i should get a reg, because my gf has a tank i can use. i just want to get in the water weather it be a lake, river, or even just a pool. If anyone has advise would really appreciate it. I cant wait to get in the water more often.

Going to guess you have mask and fins so.....wetsuit/drysuit.....BC/BBW.....regs/comp.....then the rest

Back
Top Bottom