Wife is a nose breather any advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One thing that I tell students is to think about how they are breathing in a different way. We all breath through our noses most of the time, but there are plenty of times we breathe in and out exclusively through our mouths with no problem whatsoever. By thinking about those times, I've had luck getting even the worst nose breathers to stop almost immediately:

1.) Breathe in like you're sipping hot soup from a spoon
2.) Breathe out like you are blowing out birthday candles

In both of these cases, you move air exclusively through your mouth. Folks have told me that they'll spend one or maybe two pool sessions thinking "Hot soup... birthday candles. Hot soup... birthday candles..." and then realize "Hey, I'm not breathing through my nose anymore!" and they can stop thinking about it.

My wife is also a nose breather and it took her several times to dive with a snorkel and no mask. She hated the first several times. Now she is comfortable breathing underwater without a mask. She uses goggles due to high chlorine in the pool.
Now she needs to lose her fear of creatures in the ocean. Thats scrares the ***t out of her.

Last edited:
Nose breathing can be a pain to the wannabe diver.

If she really wants to learn to dive:

1. Have her walk around the house with the mask on. Get her acclimated to breathing through the mouth without having to dunk her head in water, or a sink as it's been mentioned.

2. If she's able to spend a few hours with the mask on the face, and is transitioning to mouth breathing - take her to the shallow end of the pool and have her work on a snorkel, and perhaps a regulator.

3. If she is becoming OK with the afore mentioned scaffolding exercises have her go to the regulator.

With folks with have unique issues, and a real desire -patience and small steps are the key.

X

Amended to reflect reality (for most men)
Nose breathing can be a pain to the wannabe diver.

If you really want her to learn to dive:

1. Ask her very nicely to walk around the house with the mask. Encourage her repeatedly to become acclimated to breathing through the mouth without having to dunk her head in water, or a sink as it's been mentioned.

2. If she's able to spend a few hours with the mask on the face, and is transitioning to mouth breathing - coax her to the shallow end of the pool and suggest very diplomatically and sensitively that she work on a snorkel, and perhaps a regulator.

3. If she is becoming OK with the afore mentioned scaffolding exercises recommend sweetly and positively for her go to the regulator.

With folks with have unique issues, and a real desire -patience and small steps are the key.

With wives and girlfriends....flowers, chocolates and immense sensitivity are best :D

X

Thanks everyone, she did find a few videos on utube but they were not that helpfull. I should have mentioned that she also had the problem with water in the mask as well. Thanks again everyone.

brunow

You have enough good advice above to write a primmer on the topic. I'll add this is all really a case of needing repeated exposure to the situations. Once she reprograms her brain and develops some habits it will all become natural. Learning to dive is an adaptation for humans and this is all to be expected.

In addition to what has been mentioned I have to suggest that everyone find some time for some skin-diving. This fundamental comfort and skill builder is all too often bypassed on the way to the exciting scuba gear. Pool laps or open water, it's all good.

Pete

This won't help.... :no:

When I was going through my military training, we occasionally played a drinking game that involved a Super-Soaker water pistol, vodka and a nostril. Do that a few times and no amount of salt water up the nose will bother you... :eyebrow:

Thanks everyone, she did find a few videos on utube but they were not that helpfull. I should have mentioned that she also had the problem with water in the mask as well. Thanks again everyone.

If you mean she has problems clearing water from her mask because she is blowing out with her mouth - when she should be blowing out through her nose - she can try putting the tip of her tongue on the roof of her mouth while she exhales. I've found this very effective for many new students struggling with trying to exhale through their nose while they have a reg in their mouth.

Something not mentioned here is the reflex to sniff when water comes in contact with the nose. I thought I was the only one with this idiosyncrasy until I saw an interview with one of the Australian Olympic Gold medalist Swimmers. He explained that he wears nose clips because when his water gets in the water he sniffs reflexively.

I had no real trouble breathing through my mouth but the water touching my nose caused me to sniff it up my nose. I felt awful stupid but I found I had to pinch my nose to keep from doing this. Water accumulating in my mask was a problem and a purge mask did not work well.

Determination and a lot of self talking was needed. It took a while but the water in my mask doesn't really phase me anymore. I think there have been some great tricks listed here some of which might have made my life easier:blinking:

Tell her she is not alone.. it takes a bit of concentrations and pig headed determination but it is well worth the effort!:D

Back
Top Bottom