Galapagos conditions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thanks for the reply. your wife is a lucky person to have you teach her all of these techniques. my buddy has less experience than i do so i won't learn anything from him. i only get to dive 2/3 times a year so it leaves little time to practice these techniques. however i feel after some of the rough conditions i experienced in komodo i am better off for it. i had to put into practice 5 new techniques as you talk about.. actually more like 10 or 20 haha

entering from a zodiac
backwards roll with a negative entry
very quick descent to get shelter from current
using a reef hook
learning new hand signals
watching the reef. are the reef fish all lined up swimming into the current, how are the soft corals moving.
safety stop in the blue
safety stop in curent
current on a night dive
waiting in the waves to be picked up
getting back on the zodiac
theres more but you get the idea.
to be honest i think its way too much to take on in one go, but i got through it. maybe the dive company should ask more questions before they let you go?? or maybe i should have done more research rather thn thinking i can go here see mantas whale sharks etc etc..

i feel confident with everything now except doing the negative entry from a backwards roll. i always seem to float up to the top. i can do it from a giant stride off the boat no problems, just the backwards roll i can't seem to get enough depth..
the big thing is how do i spot a area of current up ahead wheather its lateral or vertical?? the way the ocean works baffles me...

...the big thing is how do i spot a area of current up ahead wheather its lateral or vertical?? the way the ocean works baffles me...

Water is hard to see, at least "how it is moving". So concentrate instead on being aware of it's effects. Look for what moving water does to its environment.

Things we should learn in AOW: As we enter on a shore dive and go out, we note which way the sea grasses and soft Corals are bending in the prevailing flow of the water. On a shore dive, this is so that we can make a determination as to which way to begin our dive... always into the current, right?

Lateral curents you should notice as you begin to accelerate. I don't recall any that just started out of the blue... there's usually a warning speed-up as you are going along. Many folks don't even sense a mild current, which can be bad on a shore dive where you have to get back to your entry point! Is it a true flowing current, or is it a "surge" back and forth? Different techniques for each.

On a drift dive, we always go with the current, but the crossover technique and application is pretty obvious. Watch the plants and soft Corals- see not only that they are bending a certain way, but note the relative degree in various currents. Yes, this takes time and experience, but if you have in mind what to do in terms of "working the current"*, you'll be relaxed and have plenty of time to make observations as you glide along.

*("Working the current" is an entirely different topic which entails how to expend the least amount of energy dealing with the effects of the current. Remember- it is all but impossible to sustain your position in 1/4mph current for any period of time, and that isn't much when compared to the "real" Ocean. You have to learn to play the reef structure and the flow, seeking out the calmer layers or hidey-holes)

Vertical upwellings and downwellings? The same exact way. Look for obvious physical signs. Look for fish, as well. Are they all pointed straight up, swimming, and not moving a lot? That's a pretty good clue. They might not be in a school, observe individuals. Look for crud or bubbles in the water... hard to see for many, but if you adjust your focus and perceptions, the clues are there. Remember- these vertical currents occur because of a vertical or sharply sloping nearby wall, usually visible.

The most apparent? Watch the divers in front of you. What are they doing? How are they reacting? Do not stare at any one potential tell-tale sign too long- keep scanning your environment.

Be aware of your surroundings. A tall order as we Humans seem to be hard-wired to look at such situations ineffectively. Prepare yourself in advance by thinking about these visual stimuli. Pre-visualize your observation techniques and your required response.

Just curious, as the time until my departure draws nearer, what does the conditions seem to be shaping up to be for Aug./ Sept. Do the waters seem to be warmer/ colder than usual? are the current stronger/ lesser han usual? I know there is no way to say for 100%, but just curious as to how it appears to be taking shape.

Tammy, check out this website. Diving Galapagos Islands & Marine Reserve Guide | Galapagos Dive Guide It lists the probable diving conditions at most of the dive sites included in your itenerary. Since late August is entering the coolest sea temperature season, figure on the minimum expected temperature listed for each site to be your probable maximum temp. I base this on the fact that most forecasts are predicting cooler than normal temperatures through the next several months. Currently temperatures are cooler than normal.

If you are not sure of your itenerary, check this link DIVE ADVICE TRAVEL - Galapagos Humblodt Explorer

I'm in Galapagos now and water is much cooler than normal. Out today with someone diving a new 5MM in central islands who came up shivering with blue lips. If you're coming soon and not bringing a 7MM, definitely bring layers. Everyone here is complaining about how cold it is. Like I wrote awhile back, after unseasonably warm temps... a non-destructive 'mini' El Nino, seems like now is the 'mini' La Nina. Viz is not so great right now at all, but then again, it's a full moon.

Chatted at length with someone just coming back from Darwin and Wolf last night. Says conditions are same up there...cold with little viz. (PS...the someone happened to be Lauren Hutton...cool that she's been a diver 45 years now! Add her to the list of celebrity divers that's on the board somewhere.)

I'm with Tammy on the reef hooks. Most of the twine that comes standard can snap in a strong current or you flap around uselessly if your intent was to steady yourself for the 'shot'. At Darwin, there are plenty of rocks you can actually wedge yourself between so you're hands free...far superior to a reef hook. Everyone I've ever seen try to use one up there only tried once.

We have an island hopping dive tour that just started. Our guide for this tour is also the lead guide on the Humboldt Explorer. (Amazing guide with tons of experience, btw) If anyone has specific questions, I might have internet for 2 more nights. Happy to report back. Probably better to email leslie@divethegalapagos.com as I'm at least (mostly) getting email via Blackberry. Internet access isn't a given.

Great thread, really helpfull info and thanks to all contributing. We are doing back-to-back trips in Sept/Oct and wife wears 5mm in tropical waters. So thinking 7mm and a shorty + hood might be in order for her.

My question is anyone using the long free diving fins for keeping up with critters or is Wolf and Darwin more hiding in the rocks? We have done Cocos/Malpelo twice so are familiar with this routine. Anyone done both and have comparisons?

Wolf + Darwin is more about hiding amongst the boulders, or hanging on the ledge. I would not recommend the long free diving fins as they can get in the way and restrict your abilities to wedge yourself amongst the rocks. The only time they maybe of benefit is when you are swimming out from the ledge at Darwin to rendezvous with the whale sharks passing by. Other than that, there is usually no need to fin madly to keep up with the marine life as they will come to you. I have dived all three Malpelo, Cocos + Galapagos and all somewhat similar in terrain, and what you learned at one will hold you in good stead for teh others. The strongest currents I have had were at Malpelo but in all places there are plenty of rocks and boulders to give you shelter and a place to hang on to. You'll love it.

Back
Top Bottom