Couple questions re: Console placement, AIR2, etc.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Couple questions...

1. Does anyone run their computer on their right side? I think this would make watching my depth and running my inflater easier especially during mid brown-water ascents.

2. I have dove an AIR2 several times on a rental and recently bought one to be in line with the majority of divers in my area and my wife. So far I hate it, I don't have the control that I feel I did with my regular inflater. This may be that I am just unaccustomed to the AIR2 and the fact that the buttons are different or because its new and the buttons are sort of sticky. I am really thinking about going back to an OCTO.

3. As long as my regular buddy (wife) knows my set up, is it that big of a deal that we should be the same?

Couple questions...

1. Does anyone run their computer on their right side? I think this would make watching my depth and running my inflater easier especially during mid brown-water ascents.

2. I have dove an AIR2 several times on a rental and recently bought one to be in line with the majority of divers in my area and my wife. So far I hate it, I don't have the control that I feel I did with my regular inflater. This may be that I am just unaccustomed to the AIR2 and the fact that the buttons are different or because its new and the buttons are sort of sticky. I am really thinking about going back to an OCTO.

3. As long as my regular buddy (wife) knows my set up, is it that big of a deal that we should be the same?

Why not hold the console in right hand and inflator in left?

I've never seen the HP hose coming off the right side. I wonder if it would interfere with the reg hoses? Or are you thinking of running those from the left?
Adam

Learn to use everything that you have then everything that is out there then do what you want.

1 - My console comes off the left side (which is pretty much the standard location) then comes under my left arm and is clipped to a D ring on the right side of my BC. I can grab it with either hand, it doesn't interfere with other hoses, and it doesn't dangle.

2 - The Air2 is pretty much a matter of choice. Dive with what makes you feel the most comfortable.

3 - It's important to know your buddies gear, regardless of with whom you're diving. It is completely irrelevent if you and your buddy have gear that is even remotely similar, let alone identical.

I've thought about putting my computer on my wrist, compass on a slate on a retracter, and use a brass and glass SPG instead of a console.

TXfirefighter, that's the way I have my gear set up. Computer on right wrist, so I can see it all the time. I have my compass also on my wrist, on the left (because I generally don't need it when I'm using my inflator) and a plain old SPG.

I started out with an AIR2, and hated it. I switched to a long hose/bungied backup setup and loved it. It is NOT critical that you and your wife have the same gear; it is critical that each of you know the other's equipment, where things are and how they work. It does make life a little easier if you both have the same stuff, just in terms of interchangeability of pieces, but it isn't a big deal.

With a wrist mounted computer, it works just fine on the left. If it's a hand-held (hose) computer, it's hard to hold your inflator and computer at the same time, so the right side seems to work better.

I have dove an AIR2 several times on a rental and recently bought one to be in line with the majority of divers in my area and my wife. So far I hate it, I don't have the control that I feel I did with my regular inflater. This may be that I am just unaccustomed to the AIR2 and the fact that the buttons are different or because its new and the buttons are sort of sticky. I am really thinking about going back to an OCTO.

The problem isn't "Air-2" vs "Octo", your Air-2 just needs service. The buttons should not be sticky and it should be easy to control. You should note that it has a much higer flow-rate than a lot of standard inflators, so you need to be gentle with the button. If you just mash it, you'll get a lot of air.

In an emergency, having similar gear helps a lot.

Your Air-2 should be well behaved. If it isn't you should bring it back for service.

Terry

You should note that it has a much higer flow-rate than a lot of standard inflators, so you need to be gentle with the button. If you just mash it, you'll get a lot of air.

Does that mean a stuck on inflator is more likely to rocket you to the surface?

Does that mean a stuck on inflator is more likely to rocket you to the surface?

Only if you don't know how to use the dump valve.

Terry

Back
Top Bottom