Crazy - 1080p cam + 180' housing for $270?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I want to do something very easy to setup. New week I start to design few samples, help me to choose the right one :)

News tidbit: over on that other forum, the admin claims that GoPro just told him that a flat lens product of some sort is officially being made.

If the company is doing something official I wish they would announce it and end some of the speculation. It's not clear if it is a lens replacement, or a new housing, or something else. More importantly, it's also not clear when we'll get it.

At this point I am going to wait and see what, if anything, happens with the OEM solution. If there is no news in a month or so I may try a DIY.

(Joke mode acknowledged)

I got one of those, top heavy out of the water, what mods do I need to use it ?

(Joke mode continues)

:dork2:
Joke Mode On

I finish my underwater case:

For sale: 69.90 + Shipping (Gopro not include).

Joke Mode Off.

Sorry Guys.

I received my GoPro HD the other day. The Aquapac underwater baggie I had will not work because the GoPro housing doesn't fit well and the Power button on the face of the GoPro housing interferes with the flat port of the baggie.

So I proceeded to get parts together for a permanent underwater focus fix using acrylic bought from a local acrylic factory:

- 50mm x 50mm x 8mm black acrylic plate with a 38mm diameter hole drilled in the center
- 50mm x 50mm x 3mm clear acrylic plate for the flat port
- acrylic cement
- silicone sealant for aquariums

Total spent on parts was about $15.
Acrylic scratches rather easily, so I'll have to be careful with the GoPro. But I was in a rush and this was the best I could do.

The 38mm hole drilled into the black acrylic was not wide enough to prevent vignetting on the 720p60 mode that I may use from time to time, so I filed down the sides to flare out the corners. Now there is no vignetting. 1080p was no problem even with just the 38mm straight walled hole because of its narrower angle of view.

I've attached a couple of photos showing the housing as it is now. The parts are all cemented into place, but I will let it cure overnight and then apply the silicone sealant to all the seams to make sure it is waterproof.

We're going to Guam next week and will get to do a couple boat dives. I'll probably piggyback the GoPro camera on top of a Sony HC1 in an Ikelite housing so I can compare how the two video cameras fare against each other.

Hopefully I'll have some nice sample videos to post after the trip.
(and hopefully no floods!)

Attachments

• GoPro_mod1.jpg
    GoPro_mod1.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 253
  • GoPro_mod2.jpg
    GoPro_mod2.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 130
I received my GoPro HD the other day. The Aquapac underwater baggie I had will not work because the GoPro housing doesn't fit well and the Power button on the face of the GoPro housing interferes with the flat port of the baggie.

So I proceeded to get parts together for a permanent underwater focus fix using acrylic bought from a local acrylic factory:

- 50mm x 50mm x 8mm black acrylic plate with a 38mm diameter hole drilled in the center
- 50mm x 50mm x 3mm clear acrylic plate for the flat port
- acrylic cement
- silicone sealant for aquariums

Total spent on parts was about $15.
Acrylic scratches rather easily, so I'll have to be careful with the GoPro. But I was in a rush and this was the best I could do.

The 38mm hole drilled into the black acrylic was not wide enough to prevent vignetting on the 720p60 mode that I may use from time to time, so I filed down the sides to flare out the corners. Now there is no vignetting. 1080p was no problem even with just the 38mm straight walled hole because of its narrower angle of view.

I've attached a couple of photos showing the housing as it is now. The parts are all cemented into place, but I will let it cure overnight and then apply the silicone sealant to all the seams to make sure it is waterproof.

We're going to Guam next week and will get to do a couple boat dives. I'll probably piggyback the GoPro camera on top of a Sony HC1 in an Ikelite housing so I can compare how the two video cameras fare against each other.

Hopefully I'll have some nice sample videos to post after the trip.
(and hopefully no floods!)

Have you seen that Russel at Eye of Mine basically has something like that? He just posted some video herethat is pretty amazing... a little more than $15 but for someone like myself that has neither the time nor the skill I am thinking it might be a pretty cool alternative.

Biggest questions for me is mounting... Reason I have never gotten into u/w photo or video is that I like my hands free (usually just to keep at my sides, but still) anyway... I wear a wrist mount computer on my left wrist and when I dive with a light I have a NIterider light on a soft goodman mount. I am thinking that I might be able to mount the camera on top of the NIterider light head (I sometimes use it for day dives anyway) but that is not 100%. Supposedly GOPro is coming up with a wrist mount that swivels for the HDHero (they have one for the standard) but it is behind schedule.
This guy Russel seems like he comes up with pretty neat stuff but he is not a diver so...

Interesting. I had only seen their baggie approach. But a few people on the GoPro User forum had been mounting glass, acrlic or polycarbonate flat ports to their housings and it looks like Eye of Mine has done so as well.

At $80 that's not bad, considering that a replacement housing itself is $40.
Much more interesting than the baggie method, IMO.

Too bad I was in a rush, or ordering something like that would have been better.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom