DIY reg servicing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I may be way off base with this but isn't cristolube recommended to be used more for the higher oxygen compatibility with nitrox than its lubrication function. If only breathing air then you can use any food grade silicone grease. I have been using Dow Corning 111 for many years. A 5.3 oz tube sells for $14.

I have no intend to breathe anything other than "natural" air, but I choose to use Christo because it's a better lubricant. SP warned in its Engineering Bulletin #248 that the MK10Plus and the MK20 are designed for it, and "if standard silicon is used... the IP could increase by as much as 20 PSI".

Last edited:
I do not see why switching to a different lube would increase IP 20 psi. I use Dow 111 on my mk5, mk10 and mk15 and the IP is perfect.

Actually.... me neither:D. I'd love to hear from the gurus on that topic. Me, I just put the Christo where I think it matters, eg piston crown, piston stem, poppet, and my camera; for the rest, I use silicon.

In my motocycling days, I did notice an improvement in shifting when I switched to synthetic oil, and my current car maker would void the warranty if I don't use the specifically approved hi-dollard oil.

I use 111 as well. I never use high 02 levels and we use 111 at work so I have access to all I need of it. I do not see any need to follow the trend to the newer lubes, 111 has been used for years and is fine for rec nitrox.

I need to emphasize that the EB 248 applies to the MK10Plus and the MK20/25: they all use the new style dark grey hard seat, and a blunt knife edge. My thinking is they have more problems making a seal because the contact area is much larger compared to the regular MK10 or MK5.

The rounded piston edge was designed to improve flow characteristics across the piston/seat seal, and I imagine there was some thought that the design might result in less HP seat wear. They certainly went through a few designs before ending up with the current MK25 piston.

As far as IP being raised significantly by the use of silicone rather than PTFE grease like christolube or Tribolube, I doubt it. The newer are thought to be better quality overall, so I use them. But, it takes me a few years to get through a single tube so the cost is not a factor. If I had a large rental fleet, I'd probably use silicone.

I'm going to pack the chambers on my MK10s with the Tribolube 66 just for laughs. I finally found SPEC boots for them, so I'll have sealed MK10s.

I use tribolube/christolube only on my regs. My supply of silicone goes to other o-rings such as lights and computers (except my nitrox computer:D) and fins/booties. My LDS insists on using silicone on tanks unless they are O2 clean so he only gets my air tanks. The tank that I occasionally use for nitrox goes to another shop for VIS.

I'm going to pack the chambers on my MK10s with the Tribolube 66 just for laughs. I finally found SPEC boots for them, so I'll have sealed MK10s.

Matt, the water temperature's now 77°F in your area, almost my kind of temperature:D.

Zung,

EBay is ok for re-buying the toys from your childhood, music, movies, and collectables. The C-lube you see there is most likely purchased in lbs. and repackaged into small containers. How can you tell that it hasn't become hydrocarbon contaminated? Speaking as a manufacturer who understands what O2 clean involves. I am sure you can even save a few francs, but at the end of the day I prefer to deal with OEM's, Distributors, Techs', and dive shops that offer product in the exact packaging that it was originally filled. They sell $5.00 Rolex's in NY as well, who cares if it has a quartz movement if it looks real. Know exactly what you put in your regs, they are life sustaining devices. Try typing Tribolube in your particular search engine; I am sure you will find authorized distributors. Or, I would be happy to send you the information for someone that will be of assistance.
Beware of Repackaged Lubricant: Some individuals are purchasing oxygen compatible lubricants in bulk containers and then repackaging in smaller containers. Aerospace Lubricants, Inc. has a wide range of approved packaging down to 5 grams. Repackaging can potentially be unsafe. These unapproved containers could contain mold release agents, silicone treated rubber stoppers in the syringes, and dyes in colored containers; all of which could transfer into the oxygen lubricant itself. These containers, along with the unknown repackaging conditions can produce lubricants that are contaminated and no longer suitable for oxygen service. Purchase only from vendors who sell lubricants supplied directly from the factory in carefully selected and tested packaging.

TRIBOLUBE71

Sorry to hijack a question addressed to awap, but I want to give you the point of vue of an amateur from overseas: while I don't doubt your product is at least as good as the other one, sourcing it in a convenient way can be a problem. I just did a search on eBay, and there are 11 offers for Christo-Lube 111 & 129, and only 1 for Tribolube-16. And the guy selling Christo charges reasonable shipping from NY.

If you could setup a "dealership" like that, I'll try yours when my current supply runs out.

Back
Top Bottom