Shadow Divers – Exposed U 869

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver or not, I am at least posting on topic, which is more than can be said about the last page or so of drivel, including your "contribution".
I thought my original post, which can hardly be accused of being troll-like, would provoke more on topic debate and thought about this issue ,,, Which, like it or not, is of interest to more than just divers, due to its historical nature, and is fresh in my mind, due to just having read the book.
I am a bit disappointed to see weak flames, childish comments and lame humor instead, perhaps I should have posted more towards summer when you guys don't have so much time on your hands in the off season.

You posted in a three year old thread.

Which has been done to death.

Many of us know the people involved and were familiar with the story long before the book.

You take an aggressive stance, in an area of which you, by your own admission, know nothing.

Which is why you are being goofed on.....

None of which is going to stop me from having an opinion.
Feel free to ignore.
I could have started a new topic, I thought the right thing to do would be to continue an already established thread.

I don't know exactly what your problem is with what I have said, I can tell you that one doesn't need to be a diver to know that banging on an unstable oxygen canister is lunacy, and doesn't fit in at all with the rest of the book.
That is the only thing in the entire book which jumps out at me as fabrication. I have not commented a bit about technical things which I know nothing about.

I have not commented a bit about technical things which I know nothing about.

Personal experience with narcosis and china fever being notable exceptions.

This message is hidden because RJP is on your ignore list.

Hate to do this on only my 10th post, but you obviously have nothing to contribute save for witty 1 liners.

Ok, regardless of dictionary definition, it was a truly reckless act that I am convinced was an embellishment.
To so callously disregard his own safety as well as his partners would seem to fly in the face of his military medical training, which was trumpeted up throughout the book.
Cannot be explained by narcosis, since he was using trimix.
It happened at the very end of the story, seems to me that the author simply wanted to end with something unbelievable, simply swimming out of the room with the tag wouldn't do, so he came up with this.

Probably will never be known if it did happen, as either confirming or denying would put Chatterton in an uncomfortable position.
Confirm it, he admits to having reckless, callous, even suicidal tendencies.
Deny it, he admits the author took creative license, which would call into question the whole work.

If someone did in fact explore the room before, without having to de-tank, that right there is quite an omission, and would suggest that the author didn't want to let little things like facts & details stand in the way of his storyline.

People take educated risks all the time. I know I did scores of times driving home from the night years ago...

Then we'll have to agree to disagree.
Banging on an encrusted, unstable oxygen tank right at the end of the story has an element of contrived hyperbole, when taken in context against the background of his previous super caution, safety training and meticulous planning.

Hate to do this on only my 10th post, but you obviously have nothing to contribute save for witty 1 liners.

Hmm...

The need to tell me that you're ignoring me?

I'm... flattered?

:idk:

Then we'll have to agree to disagree.
Banging on an encrusted, unstable oxygen tank right at the end of the story has an element of contrived hyperbole, when taken in context against the background of his previous super caution, safety training and meticulous planning.

What was Chatterton thinking when he banged on the oxygen tank is not going to keep me up tonight nor cure this boring Saturday afternoon...

You know...Xray99 could just pm this guy Chatterton and ask about it in person.
I'm just sayin'.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom