Belize Whale Shark Assistance Please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mbothe

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have a group heading to belize for the April 28th full moon to try Whale Shark Diving. I am looking for any insight regarding Dive Opporators, locations (Placencia or Dangriga) and any thing else I should know.

Sea Horse out of Placencia can take you out to Gladden Spit for whale shark diving. I have been out with Sea Horse on multiple trips and would recommend them. The dive guides there are awesome.

Are you bringing your own equipment or renting? I've noticed that some of the rental equipment from the dive shops in Placencia tend to be hit or miss.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Moved to Belize sub-forum for better exposure

Splash Dive Shop has whale shark packages and an excellent track record for spotting whale sharks. Splash has alliances with a number of hotels and resorts ranging from luxury to economy that will fit any budget. They also have lots of new equipment. You can check them out at Splashbelize.com or e-mail Patty Ramirez - patricia@splashbelize.com.

Check out The Thatch Caye, great team of staff, we went with them last year and loved every minute of it.

Dangriga is cheaper to fly to than Placencia from BZE. $(BZE)240 vs. $(BZE)361 r/t on Maya.

We dove out of Placencia a couple of years ago. Placencia was a nice enough town - lots of restaurants and little stores for breakfast food and beers. We stayed at Trade Winds which has nice little cabanas on the water. The woman who ran them Janice Lesile was great (trdewndpla@btl.net). Each one had frig for beer and breakfast food. I would highly recommend her place.

We dove with Seahorse Dive Shop and well I would probably try another shop for the next trip. We found their DM to be very heavy handed to the point that my wife was pissed at their BS on the whale shark dive. I ended up having a nice little chat with Brian the owner over that and other issues before the nexts days diving. One issue, we complained that the dive times were too short and we were coming up with way more air than we liked. Now granted on active pickups (i.e. the boat motors behind you) it helps to have the group come up together but it is not an absolute (condition dependent). So after our complaint on the next dive were there were three of us and the DM said we would come up after about 40 minutes we all noted we were on computers and would probably have plenty of air for a longer dive he agreed to check at 40 minutes and go. At 40 minutes we all had over 1000 psi so we were good for at least another 10 mins. 5 minutes later he went up. So much, for that.

I should note each dive op has a time slot to be out on the split when the time slot opens you go out. When the time ends they need to leave the area. They do this slotting so that there only so many divers in the water at the same time.

We are ging to thatch on Monday but We booked in Feb and they said it was the last casita avail.

Back
Top Bottom