diving in Jamaica - help please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tanyadeweymarn

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
off to jamaica at the end of the week.. flying into kingston and out of monteago bay and traveling in between. can anyone please recommend good places to dive and good dive centres?

I am a fair weather diver and only dive on holiday. I have my open water, advanced, deep diver (PADI). I don't like strong currents though (especially on the first couple of dives). I would like a dive centre that's trusted and that will show me things (I don''t know enough to spot everything myself).

PLEASE help
Thanks
tanya

If you are going through Negril, I would recommend Sun Divers.

We dove with them in 2008 and were very pleased with their professionalism.

We will be going back in 2013, and intend to dive with them again then.

Thank you so much - will definatly get to negril. Do you know if anywhere else in Jamaica is worth diving.......treasure beach? monteago bay? kingston?

commuting between Montego Bay and Kingston isn't that easy. yeah it's a small island, but there are no "direct roads" between the two. you pretty much have to drive the "perimeter road" around the island.

I'm guessing it's 4 hours or so.

the reason the UK flights go into the Kingston is the longer runway for widebody planes.

to go from Mo'Bay to Negril, another 1 hr to an hour and half.

roads in Jamaica aren't exatly freeways. they are bumpy, windy, and often you have to dodge obstacles, like people, goats, junk, etc.

use this as a good reference on time, etc. figure that you'll average 30-40mph over long distances.

here's a decent chart

Avis Jamaica - Driving Distance

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom