Devil's Teeth - Urchin diving video

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Eric Sedletzky

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
A friend of mine forwarded this to me.
If you ever wanted to know what commercial urchin diving is all about in Northern California here it is.
Someday I will get out to the Farallons. The harbor is about an hour from my house, then the boat trip is 33 miles out to Devil's Teeth (Farallon Islands).

YouTube - Devil's Teeth

Last edited by a moderator:
The Mola Mola shot was awesome.

Those islands are awesome, period. I've never been out there but I'm on a quest to get out there hell or high water. It's totally do-able for me, I just need to grow the cojones to get out there and make it happen. The water is always healthy and big. There is no place to hide out of the weather and wind. It's wild territory.
It's a good thing I dive wet ( the same style of suit that urchin diver wears BTW) because if I dove dry there would be quite a mess to clean up after coming face to face with one of those GWS for the first time!!! With no cage on top of it!

I loved the artistic value of the film with the B/W intermittent editing, very well done.
It almost had a vintage mood from the start with the grainy opening scene. Am I the only one who sees this???
I love how casually the sharks are talked about, almost like he sees them every day and is just part of the job, no big deal.

I think i'm going to look for a job urchin diving.

Tell your friend thanks for sharing his video. Thank you for taking the time to post it.

If the great whites were that plentiful out there, then I'm gonna retrofit my Glock with the marine spring cup so that I can fire that thing underwater!!!

If the great whites were that plentiful out there, then I'm gonna retrofit my Glock with the marine spring cup so that I can fire that thing underwater!!!

I don't think Ron would take too kindly to you going and shooting his pets. He probably has them all named.

That is a cool video. Watching it I couldn't help but think about the guy that lived with the grizzlies - till they ate him.

Never been afraid of it but why push your luck - Duh! to scratch out a living. Doesn't seem too profitable - he must like it.

That is a cool video. Watching it I couldn't help but think about the guy that lived with the grizzlies - till they ate him.

Never been afraid of it but why push your luck - Duh! to scratch out a living. Doesn't seem too profitable - he must like it.

There was a time when it was really profitable. I know a guy who in the twelve years he did it made over 2 million dollars. He had some days better than $5000.
He made enough money to buy his Radon boats cash ($150,000) and buy a nice house in Bodega Bay cash.
Those boom days are over and the few that are doing it might be making about the same as an auto mechanic somewhere. But what would you rather be doing? changing oil and doing tune-ups, or having an adventure every time you go to work, breathing fresh air, and being out on the ocean.

The answer is simple for me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom