St. Andrews West Jetties, Tuesday Feb 2nd 2010

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yarbrough

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Well,

I think this is where I should put this post, but I'm not sure. Went out yesterday and dove at the Jetties in Panama City Beach, and I was very surprised by the clarity of the water. Despite bad weather and building seas, it was amazingly calm and clear at depth. I was in the water with a new Dive Master candidate and one of the local shop employees for my first saltwater dive of the week, and it was great.

We entered the water on the beach side of the Jetties and agreed before the dive that if it was bad, we would just swim out to the end and then turn around and come back, but if it was nice, we would continue around the point and back into the kiddie pool via the channel. This kept us from having a long walk at the end of the dive. Viz was around 3 feet starting out, but once we got out to where the waves were no longer breaking, things cleared up to about 20 feet. This was my first around he point dive since the dredging, and things are different out there, but still cool. Some of my landmarks are gone, but I was still able to guide my two buddies back in to the kiddie pool with very little trouble. Water temp was about 49 degrees and the top 15 feet of water was colder and tinted red with muck, but below that was a beautiful dive filled with sheepheads, red drum, urchins, sea cucumbers, star fish and hundreds of mating horseshoe crabs. All in all, it was a great dive, and I hope my buddies enjoyed it as much as I did.

Todd Yarbrough

Water temp was about 49 degrees.....

:shocked2::shocked2::shocked2::shocked2::shocked2::shocked2:
That is some cold cold stuff right there! I'm glad you guys survived Todd, I had been toying with the idea of a shallow shovelnose quest the next day conditions looked good..... but I may stick with the deep stuff (past 130') where its in the mid 60's all Winter. I do not have what it takes to do the Jetties right now for sure! I hope you had some :coffee: handy afterwards!

BRRRRRRR, thanks for the report though, sounds like conditions are great.

Its on the way back up... Three weeks ago when we had the cold snap, I got 41 on my computer in the kiddie pool. I was glad to see a little warmer.

Uh, Yeah i enjoyed it! Loved it actually! Cant wait to get back out there

Back
Top Bottom