How bad has the El Nino been this year (09) in the Galapagos?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

trainee

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

My fiance and I are considering a dive trip to the Galapagos in June 2010 but we're concerned about it being an El Nino year. Has anyone heard how bad the El Nino has been so far? It seems that when it is light then there isn't a problem, but when it is strong there is a big problem.

Thanks!

Tony (PADI DM)

So far in 2009, no impact. However, I was on a flight with a friend today who is a dive guide always out on a live-aboard who told me the water temp up there is now 37 C. (98F). I could not believe it (and still find it hard to believe.) Hammerheads like the cold water, so they'll go deeper. I begin diving the central islands tomorrow, so will try to drop another note this weekend.

Right now, only 3 boats are doing trips up north...Aggressors I and II and the Sky Dancer. Deep Blue is out for maintenance for 2 weeks. Will see if I can learn more from their dive guides at the weekend. 98 is unbelievably hot. Hammerheads in the tens not hundreds. Seem to be more in the central islands right now, (from what I'm hearing) but that, to me, seems the norm for Jan-June. Feb-June, we see whale sharks in the central islands, though it's always a maybe, not a given like Darwin in season. Am hearing about 30+ hammerheads at local sites.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom