Close call with a newbie

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wouldnt dive with bthe guy again. Atleast you had the exp to deal with him though. Like i try to do dive shallow controled areas that are a mix between like a lake and a pool incase anything comes up and there are enough outs your almost guarenteed to be safe reguardless of caution. The guy either needs to wise up or take an actual dive course so they can learn, dont panic and stick to what you and your buddy have planned also be familiar with your gear like your wiping your own a$$ so you know the tolerances of it.

Sounds like a pretty miserable "buddy" to me. Just curious, have you mentioned to others in your area (buddies, acquaintances, potential buddies to this guy) about him? It might be nice to give others some warning so they can decide for themselves if they want to give him a second chance.

It's unfortunate that he runs his mouth and thinks he's a great diver when he's obviously lacking in skills and confidence. It's so much nicer to hear a new diver say they're new and somewhat apprehensive - I certainly appreciate that more than expecting a competent diver and getting a mess...

I'll second those who say it's essential to ask direct questions of a new dive buddy.

I can tell you about parking and shore conditions at a dozen different NE sites. I can show you how to measure a lobster, mark a flag, and patch a dry suit. I am knowledgeable about dive regulations in Croatia. I'm on a first-name basis with the owners of 3 LDS's and I know the PADI manual back and forth. No one would mistake me for a tech. diver, but if you didn't know better you'd probably think I'd been diving for 4 or 5 years.

My total dive experience? Two DS sessions for a grand total of 4 tanks while babysat by an instructor! :D

I have a teenager who certified at 10 and since he's too young for a driver's license I've ended up chauffeuring him to dive sites and shops. When he was working toward his C-card I went over the PADI manual with him word for word to make sure he understood it all. So while I can talk the talk, God knows if I could walk the walk. I'll get a chance to find out later this month when I finally start my OW course.

My family ran into the bad insta-buddy scenario last year when my son was paired up with a guy who claimed to be an Israeli army diver. We later suspected he was one of those guys who did 3 days of training in the army 20 years ago and hasn't been in the water since. Son had a massive nosebleed while descending and had to surface but insta-buddy was nowhere to be found. He continued with the dive as if he were a solo diver. Luckily my husband was there and made sure son got back to the boat OK. Our lesson? You can never ask too many questions or be explicit enough about the plan when diving with s/o you don't know.

Now I'll shut my non-diving trap and let those with real experience get on with the discussion!

talked to the guy today on the phone. He wanted to know my opinion about getting a better harness on his rig like the "proffesional one" his instructer uses, which happens to be the Apeks plate with Apeks wing and a comfort harness. I think the only reason his instructor uses this rig is because the shop he's affiliated with is an Aqualung dealer and they get all the apeks stuff.

Originally, I'm the one who sold him his rig. It consists of a 1/4" aluminum freedom plate, oxycheq 30# Mach V wing, oxycheq HOG harness kit, and oxycheq stainless cam bands/buckles.
It's a first class rig which anybody would love to have. I think he learned (LOL) using a jacket which he probably should have stuck with and left me alone. I'm regretting selling him the rig and wish someone who knows how to dive got it instead.

OK, so after all this CF of a dive happens he blames me for selling him a rig that is defective because the buckle came undone while he was diving and "I" almost killed him because "I" sold him the rig. This is how stupid the guy is. No personal resposibility, no getting familiar with ones gear in the pool first or incremental shore dives, nothing, but it's all my fault somehow.

First of all, I didn't manufacture the wing, the harness, or the cam bands, oxycheq did. All I manufactured was the plate. So now he want's to get rid of the whole thing because it's no good because the waist band buckle came loose. I told him if he didn't like the buckle then go to a dive shop and get a different one and make sure you run it through correctly, that's all you have to do. There's nothing wrong with the rig, people dive HOG style harnesses all the time. He thinks I'm full of it and he knows more. He continues to argue about this point and there's no getting through to him. I'm telling you he has a mental problem

I left our last conversation with,

"You know what, you seem to know what you want and what's best for you. Go get the Apeks plate and everything your instructor has since you seem to know it's the best thing for you. Just leave me out of it. I don't want to discuss it anymore, I gotta go".

"Well wait, what am I going to do with your POS"

"Sell it on e-bay, I don't care, but I really have to go"

So keep your eyes open on e-bay, you might see the rig for sale.

Last edited by a moderator:
So keep your eyes open on e-bay, you might see the rig for sale.

Like we want to buy that DEATH trap now that we know about it :shakehead:

:D :rofl3:

The guy is just a complete and utter idiot.

Well, just to clarify, I have one of Eric's plates and absolutely LOVE it.

I'll be keeping an eye on e-bay for that death trap. :wink:

Not sure if you missed it but I was joking.

And a massive stroke he is. I think it would be good if he were to be invited to come on ScubaBoard to discuss it.....I think we could have A LOT of fun with him. I would give him 3 days before he had an EPIC meltdown and faded away to nothing :D.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom