Snorkeling Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chgruver

New
Reaction score
Hello, I am trying to find out some information in regards to snorkeling, at least in Florida. I know of some people who were snorkeling in one of the springs here in Florida and were stopped and informed that they needed a license to snorkel. I have looked online to find information in regards to this. Does any here know of any such law?

chgruver

Well, I have no local knowledge of Florida, but I've just spent some time conducting an online search and the only Florida licensing reference I can find within a snorkelling context is a fishing license. I know there is a long history everywhere of mutual suspicion and animosity between anglers and snorkellers. The former always assume that the latter are really underwater hunters, unfairly robbing them of their day's catch, even if the spoils are a few shellfish. So if snorkellers are intending to eat marine life rather than just observing it, I'd say a Florida fishing license should be purchased in advance. I'm unaware of any other licenses a snorkeller may need, except for the admission fee, if charged, to a particular locality.

As far as I know the only thing you're required by law to have to snorkle in Florida is a dive flag if you're in open water. Some privately owned springs or state parks may require snorkellers to purchase an entry pass or pay an extra fee to snorkel (although as far as I know the extra fee in state parks only applies to scuba divers).

Hi! Most of my snorkeling is done in the springs of Central Florida. Of course there is no such thing as a snorkeling license. My experiences, and the results of my research, are that the best springs are contained within parks and these parks invariably have an admissions fee. The book, "Diving Guide to Underwater Florida," is very useful. Springs are usually fairly small scale affairs. Since they often are also safe for children, there is, in my opinion, only one thing left to do: If the park opens at 8:00 AM, and you are waiting at the gate when it opens, you can have this amazing and beautiful experience of walking to the still pool through a an empty park, everything very beautiful, and then have the spring to yourself for long enough to explore it and see the whole thing. By the time you are leaving, vast hordes of families, German tourists, church groups, and SCUBA diving students will be pouring towards the defenseless little pool. Don't look back, just walk away. My favorite spring, a very unusual phenomenon in the whole world, is the Itchetucknee Springs State Park. I wrote a report here some time ago about it: "Snorkeling Ichetucknee Springs." Imagine! The entire creek, from the huge springs at its start almost to the its end where it pours into a large river, is contained in a park and preserved untouched. Worth the price of admission!

You do NOT need a license to snorkel in Florida - UNLESS you are planning on spearing something, then you'll need the fishing license.

If you have on a mask, snorkel and fins and you are beyond a swimming area marker on any beach you are REQUIRED to have a dive flag to mark identify you out in the blue.

Other than that have fun. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom