Hello all

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JJTNJ

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I got PADI certified in 1985 at age 21 and did nothing with it.

Now here it is all these years later and I am enthusiastic about returning.

Next week I'm going to take a refresher course. I definitely, definitely need that after 24 years.

I'm going to San Diego in July and going to dive, a guided tour at La Jolla because I definitely need a guide, and my friends are not scuba divers.

Then I plan to take an advanced open water course to get me comfortable.

I feel like it's the first day of seventh grade school all over again. Sigh.

I stopped by a NJ dive shop because I wanted an open water manual. The two people working there looked puzzled. One asked, "You mean a book?" I said, "Yeah, the book, manual, whatever they call them now."

Isn't that kind of strange that they didn't a.) have the manuals readily available (they are only available for courses) and b.) they didn't know that it's called a "manual"?

I'm already feeling insecure about going back to diving and now I'm not sure if that's the particular place that I want to do my refresher course. First impressions are important. Or maybe I'm overreacting.

Well, hello all! I hope to get as into scuba as I have with skiing over the years.

--Jim

Welcome to Scubaboard.

JJTNJ

You are on the right track... The refresher course is a great idea (would you fly solo with a pilot's license that hadn't been used in 25 years?). Definately dive with a DM or instructor until you feel very comfortable with your abilities. And, do the advanced open water course. We recommend you do Peak Performance Bouyancy, Navigation, Deep, Night and Wreck... All specialties that either enhance your most important skills or prepare you for some of the most interesting diving out there! That said, you can't make a wrong choice.

The lack of books you described is either a reflection of the economy (low inventory) or a switch to e-learning. Now a lot of people do their academics on line. We do both... But that might not be the case everywhere.

Joining ScubaBoard was also a good choice. It is a great resource with many dedicated contributers making positive contributions! In addition to public posts, don't hesitate to send private messages to anyone that you think might be able to help you with a specific question... That is what most of us are here for!

Be sure to let us know when you want to do some warm water diving again...

Thanks, Sasscuba and Pro Dive USA!

Lots of excellent information! Also, about warm water diving, yes, I'll keep you posted! Maybe I'll even do a Florida vacation and do my advanced open water course with you.

thanks again!

Smart move.
Welcome to the board from the NC side of the house.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom