Hello from Greenville, NC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Alex Dailey

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi everyone!

I'm so new to scuba it's almost funny. Currently taking a intro to scuba class at ECU where I can get certified (assuming my instructor lets me in the open water :sigh_2:

Any help or advice for a beginning diver would be VERY appreciated. My main problems are being able to complete the required 20 yard underwater swim with one breath and no push off, stopping bending my knees when I swim with fins (and also quit getting charlie horses in my calves while doing so), and trying not to freak out when under water with the regulator...

I've been told upping my potassium intake and simply building up the muscles in my calves will help, and I'm practicing at the pool with fins (3 times a week about 1 hr each time) and a kickboard to work on the knee bending...but apparently I'm still bending my knees.

Bottom line, I'd like to get through one class where I don't feel totally inept or my instructor doesn't look at me and shake his head.

Welcome Aboard!!
Practice but don't over do it...don't be hard on yourself...all of us had to start off sometime. Your instuctor should be helping you and encouraging you not shaking his head at you. Take your time ,practice and keep an eye on your thread..there's lots of good people here with good advice.
YOU CAN DO IT!!

:wavey:

Welcome to the ScubaBoard! Don't be so hard on yourself. Continue to practice and you'll achieve your goal if you truly want it. Can't believe your instructor is so hung up on how you fin... That will work itself out over time. THe only thing you said that concerns me is the issue with "freaking out underwater with the regulator". See if you can get some extra time where you can just set on the bottom of the pool with the regulator and other appropriate gear and just breathe. When ready take the regulator out of you mouth for longer periods. Good luck!!! Outta room here. Remember to blow bubbles!!!!!! You'll make it.

chill out and relax.......
thats diving.
the skills will come with practice!!!
kudos on the extra effort on your part!
you'll love it

breathe in.......
breathe out......

repeat

Welcome to the board.

There is a great forum here for beginners. It is helpful to just read over the different threads and absorb as much as you can. Keep practicing and you will get the skill sets you need for your OWC.

Good Luck.

PH

Thanks for the words of support and helpfulness everyone. I don't mean to make my teacher sound like he's not helpful, he is (I just think sometimes I amuse him, like when I put my fins on and forgot to take out the inserts..and didn't notice until he had me take a fin off and looked inside it :rolleyes: )It's just sometimes it can be frustrating when it seems like everyone else is getting it and you aren't :)

On a more positive note...the extra practice seems to be helping. For one I sleep better at night, and I'm making progress. I have a good friend who goes to the Rec Center with me and would say "Straight" when my legs were straight, and "Bending" when I was bending them. People probably thought we were nuts. It did help though, and I was able to keep my legs straight for a couple of laps at a time (it's hard work though). My final triumph of the night was almost making it the whole length of the pool for the underwater swim (just missed it by about five inches).

I'm gonna keep at it, and hopefully after a few more times of doing this I'll be able to demonstrate my new abilities at scuba class. Countdown to open water on March 31st...40 days and counting.

Big John, the tank at Minges is pretty good...cold on some days. Did you do scuba there? Who was your instructor?

Quick question, I noticed if I kept my stomach muscles tightened that seemed to help with the bending my legs. Is this just me or does it actually help?

Thanks again, and I will try and remember to breathe, which ironically enough is hard to remember when you are concentrating on fifty different tasks.

:snorkel2:

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom