Any advice for first time using a drysuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ber, thank you for all your good ideas. NO i dont know if the suit fits me properly. it's a lg/xlg as the sizing is sm/med then a jump to lg/xlg. the legs in the sm/med were too small so there was no choice if i wanted to dive a fusion....hummmm . the legs are good, tight and comfy but the top, as the bf noticed was a touch roomy...i am wearing the undergarment that came with the suit with a pair of under armour tights. but....i am wearing a depends...now i am thinking this is also part of the mix. Do you also? I am heavier than you but am heartened to hear that you also need a lot of weight to go down.
I am not diving with an experienced dry suit diver. He has about 25-30 dives with his fusion and is working it out as we go along. I did take a class. I found it almost useless. Both suits I dove with for pool and ow had holes and I never stayed dry and thus never really learned what it was like to be in a "dry suit" I learned the basics so I could take them with me.
OK if you had 75 bad dives I will back up and be grateful. I live in the mountains in NY so for me to get to a nice body of water to try this is a 4hr. drive each way. but until it gets too cold to change outside i guess i will keep trying. again, thank you. wendy

Wendy,

I would suggest that you find an instructor to work with you and get back into a swimming pool. A drysuit course doesn't help you if you are not diving in your suit. I would work with the instructor to practice the basics.

If you are weighted properly and using the suit properly, you shouldn't need more weight that wearing a 2 piece 7mm wetsuit. If you are getting air trapped, your suit and undergarments may not be fitting you properly.

I love the Fusion and believe it is one of the best drysuits on the market, but it isn't for everyone. Like all drysuits, it is very important that it fit properly and you get the right undergarment for the enviroment you are diving in.

Diving in a drysuit isn't hard, but it is beneficial if you haven't dove dry before is to get good training from a professional. Diving in a pool or shallow water for your first few dives will help you learn the basics, and help you master buoyancy.

Wendy,

I would suggest that you find an instructor to work with you and get back into a swimming pool. A drysuit course doesn't help you if you are not diving in your suit. I would work with the instructor to practice the basics.

If you are weighted properly and using the suit properly, you shouldn't need more weight that wearing a 2 piece 7mm wetsuit. If you are getting air trapped, your suit and undergarments may not be fitting you properly.

I love the Fusion and believe it is one of the best drysuits on the market, but it isn't for everyone. Like all drysuits, it is very important that it fit properly and you get the right undergarment for the enviroment you are diving in.

Diving in a drysuit isn't hard, but it is beneficial if you haven't dove dry before is to get good training from a professional. Diving in a pool or shallow water for your first few dives will help you learn the basics, and help you master buoyancy.
Again, thank you. There is an instructor that contacted me after reading of my issues and I have hooked up him for a couple of weeks from now. I believe he dives a fusion and is willing to take me back to the "pool" even if its just shallow ow. I agree with you.. Have been getting a lot of ideas about more weight, but whew if I need more than 26lbs at 30 ft.and a steel 130, I worry that with a drysuit and the varying depth to air to weight ratio I will be overweighted and depending too much on bcd air and then, cork time...so yes, I am planning to go back to basics. My drysuit class was terrible and other than understanding the basics of how "A" drysuit is supposed to work, I was never in a dry environment because the suit leaked, i was freezing and had to surface both dives. How he passed me is a wonder. How i Paid him is also a wonder. But the universe is kind and is sending me strong messages to go back to school and this is my plan.
As for the suit fitting? I guess so. I am 5'6" and not thin....busty, big strong legs , tiny waist, I am using the whites undergarmet with under armour ....but i do use a depends would this effect anything? wendy

Again, thank you. There is an instructor that contacted me after reading of my issues and I have hooked up him for a couple of weeks from now. I believe he dives a fusion and is willing to take me back to the "pool" even if its just shallow ow. I agree with you.. Have been getting a lot of ideas about more weight, but whew if I need more than 26lbs at 30 ft.and a steel 130, I worry that with a drysuit and the varying depth to air to weight ratio I will be overweighted and depending too much on bcd air and then, cork time...so yes, I am planning to go back to basics. My drysuit class was terrible and other than understanding the basics of how "A" drysuit is supposed to work, I was never in a dry environment because the suit leaked, i was freezing and had to surface both dives. How he passed me is a wonder. How i Paid him is also a wonder. But the universe is kind and is sending me strong messages to go back to school and this is my plan.
As for the suit fitting? I guess so. I am 5'6" and not thin....busty, big strong legs , tiny waist, I am using the whites undergarmet with under armour ....but i do use a depends would this effect anything? wendy

Be aware that buoyancy control and dry suit management are most difficult in the shallow (0 to 30 foot) range. Things tend to get easier to manage the deeper you get. So don't be too hard on yourself working at those shallow depths.

The Depends will contribute to air trapping and will increase your weight requirement.

I dive in a lake with a sloping bottom. When I get to the end of my dive I stop at 15 feet, dump my BC, dump my dry suit and dump down to 300 PSI to check my weight. At that point I will either add more weight or subtract weight to get it right.

Be aware that buoyancy control and dry suit management are most difficult in the shallow (0 to 30 foot) range. Things tend to get easier to manage the deeper you get. So don't be too hard on yourself working at those shallow depths.

The Depends will contribute to air trapping and will increase your weight requirement.

I dive in a lake with a sloping bottom. When I get to the end of my dive I stop at 15 feet, dump my BC, dump my dry suit and dump down to 300 PSI to check my weight. At that point I will either add more weight or subtract weight to get it right.
I know its true that less depth you dive the more difficult, it happens that where I was diving the platform was there at 25ft.. I suppose that I was also being cautious that if and when I corked which was now and then, I would not put my health at risk by being deeper. I was not always aware of how close to the surface i was (the turtle effect and the feet up in the air made me a bit loopy)....so there fore I stayed in one place. My buddy was telling me over and over that i was gonna kill us if i did not get myself under control (we were about 30 Ft) by going up and down and so the next day, i stayed shallow....dont quite know how to get around that other than to stay in a "pool" environment until i have this weighting and undergarment, ratio under control. when i did my safety stop, if i had not held onto the line, i would of shot up. took some air outa my bc and then started to sink. It was a loosing battle last week, but next this is a new week and i am ready to face new options.
It has been mentioned that the steel 130 was not necessary. Just a back plate weight on the A80's? what do you think? wendy

Last edited:
My wife dives a Fusion and she dives it with close to 30# and a HP80 steel tank. When using a AL80 she needs to add 6#. It took her a few dives to get used to venting and not over inflating the suit.

I also agree with others who tell you dive again with a competent instructor or at a minimum, someone who really know who to dive a dry suit. If you can’t/won’t find another instructor, just add some weight and dive again. Too heavy is easier to deal with than any bit too light.

My mantra to my wife was make sure the vent is all the way open, raise your left arm and then do a chicken wing movement to vent. Vent more often when ascending. It is a great suit, you’ll get the hang of it.

My wife dives a Fusion and she dives it with close to 30# and a HP80 steel tank. When using a AL80 she needs to add 6#. It took her a few dives to get used to venting and not over inflating the suit.

I also agree with others who tell you dive again with a competent instructor or at a minimum, someone who really know who to dive a dry suit. If you can’t/won’t find another instructor, just add some weight and dive again. Too heavy is easier to deal with than any bit too light.

My mantra to my wife was make sure the vent is all the way open, raise your left arm and then do a chicken wing movement to vent. Vent more often when ascending. It is a great suit, you’ll get the hang of it.
thanks i have never tried a HP80 but as I am going to have to be buying a new rig i will keep that factor in mind and try to test one...it seems that the going weight is about 30 lbs. for us fusion girls. i will keep trying...i think i can i think i can...lol

Good luck and keep us posted!

Back
Top Bottom